We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Skye pictures

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
My Skye pictures

So I made my Skye album on facebook public if anyone is thinking about a trip there and wants to see pictures or whatever :) I've reviewed all the places I stayed/ate at and most activities I've done. In total I spent 9-10 days on Skye. 3 nights in Portree, 2 in Dunvegan and 3 in Kyleakin. I had some extremely bad luck this trip on one of my last days which could have ruined it completely and it's why it's taken my time putting up all my pictures, but then again I've also had some of the best luck I ever had before and I guess it evened things out.

Despite my bad luck - Skye is THE place for people who love nature and scenery. There wasn't one day where I didn't lose my breath for a moment just looking at the beauty around me.

https://www.facebook.com/lalyil/media_set…

the album starts with my trip from Glasgow-Fort William-Mallaig to Skye, apologies for pictures taken on buses and the reflection lol

And I'll add my fave day on the isle was travelling the North-West part. There were news of a storm starting that day but I knew I must brace the weather. I reached Faerie Glen at 10am and was completely alone there, just me and the sheep lol it quickly became my favorite place on the island, still is, and I spent a good 2-3 hours getting lost between the little hills, it wasn't stormy yet. I continued straight on to Uig, had a tea break as the crazy rain and wind started and then took that scary single-track road to Staffin lol I stopped a lot along the way to appreciate the view despite the changing weather (stormy on and off) and had a fantastic lunch at Ellishadder Art Cafe.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 14:43
Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Dunvegan
Dunvegan
Isle of Skye, UK
Kyleakin
Kyleakin
Isle of Skye, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Uig
Uig
Isle of Skye, UK
Staffin
Staffin
Isle of Skye, UK
Ellishadder Art Cafe
Ellishadder Art Cafe
400 Reviews
Isle of Skye, UK
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Skye pictures

I'm sure those that are interested and have facebook accounts will find your pictures informative.

Always nice to share a record of your trips and if it is positive then so much better!

(Not that I have seen the pictures, I'm not a FB person)

london
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Skye pictures

enjoyed your photos, thanks ... makes me want to go back again !!

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Skye pictures

good pictures - thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Skye pictures

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I am in the process of planning a trip to Scotland next April and Isle of Skye is definately on my list.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Skye pictures

Thanks for sharing. The Jacobite Rail looks inviting, too.

I hope you overcame whatever bad luck occurred?

Abs :)

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Skye pictures

I'm so jealous!! The fog just sat on the island while we were there - I would swear we were not in the same place at all!

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Skye pictures

Thanks a lot guys :)

Abs, I highly recommend the rail despite the weather we had that day it was still a great experience with beautiful scenery. :) unfortunately bad luck doesn't seem to be over yet. But since I won a pretty big prize and was informed while on Skye I guess the universe is just not yet done evening things out lol

Cybored, I'm sorry to hear that. Out of my 9 days on the isle only about 2-3 had great weather and even then it was foggy a lot. Well it is called the misty isle :) The fog is definitely a part of the beauty though.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Skye pictures

Thanks a lot guys :)

Abs, I highly recommend the rail despite the weather we had that day it was still a great experience with beautiful scenery. :) unfortunately bad luck doesn't seem to be over yet. But since I won a pretty big prize and was informed while on Skye I guess the universe is just not yet done evening things out lol

Cybored, I'm sorry to hear that. Out of my 9 days on the isle only about 2-3 had great weather and even then it was foggy a lot. Well it is called the misty isle :) The fog is definitely a part of the beauty though.

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Skye pictures

Thanks for posting the photos they are great. We are thinking of going there in January when we come over to the UK. I went to Skye back in the late 1970's so I am sure it has changed a lot. Did you do a trip report on your accommodation etc?

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
98 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Skye pictures

I didn't do a trip report, but I can tell you I stayed at:

1. Harbour Lodge self-catered apartment in Portree (30pounds a night) - which is right on the harbour (the blue house which appears on all the harbour pictures). Rooms are big and comfortable and there's a kitchen all guests can use (only 3 rooms, it was just me when I was there, but even if it's full it's no big deal), I highly recommend it mainly for the value. The two hotels next to it are great but rooms aren't more impressive and they cost 65-70pounds a night! Only difference is they make you breakfast lol (all rooms have harbour view)

2. My best memories though were the guesthouse I stayed at in Dunvegan, The Tables guesthouse. You can find them here. Lovely lovely little place. I stayed in room5 and had a great view and complete privacy. Breakfast was great too. I had a car but one day I decided to leave the car there and just walked to Dunvegan castle (about 20 minutes each way).

3. Then in Kyleakin I stayed at The White Heather hotel which was also fantastic. Again, amazing view (stayed in room1) and a fantastic breakfast. Both The Tables and White Heather had really lovely hosts too who were ready to help me with anything I needed.

As for activities:

1. In Portree I took the MV Stardust boat trip which was a lot of fun and we saw a couple of Sea Eagles. I think in January it could be too cold/stormy for that though..

2. I also walked up the little forrest to see The Lump, a walk I really enjoyed. I heard there are a lot of bunnies there but it was raining so I didn't see any.

3. One day I took a bus to Dornie to see Eilean Donan Castle (only got my rented car a couple of days later but it was such a beautiful day I knew that was when I have to see the castle). By far one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to and a must, even if it's outside Skye.

4. I went to the Sea Eagles exhibition too which I enjoyed since I love birds and it was after the boat trip so I was a little pre-educated on Sea Eagles. :)

5. In Dunvegan I walked to the castle as mentioned above, I loved it but it was a mistake seeing it after Eilean Donan as it wasn't as impressive lol still beautiful though, the gardens especially. I highly recommend the Seal Boat Trip there if it isn't too cold and stormy, it's quite an adventure and the seals really are all around - they're so so adorable.

6. My favorite part of the trip, as previously mentioned, was my north-west car trip. Faerie Glen right next to Uig is my favorite part of Skye, so gorgeous and different. The scenery changes so quickly I was a little taken aback by it. Spent a good 2-3 hours walking around there. Then the drive from Uig (where I stopped for tea and watched the ferries) to Staffin was fantastic, really beautiful. I wanted to do the Old Man of Storr that day too (and I could, time-wise) but only walked halfway, I'm too out of shape and it was rainy and muddy and I kept slipping lol so I gave up.

7. when I was in Kyleakin I took a drive to Elgol one day to take a boat trip there too but they didn't treat me very well (Misty Isle) and well, perhaps it was my luck since that was a terrible day for me so I didn't enjoy my time there, but Elgol is gorgeous.

8. What I enjoyed most during my Kyleakin stay was touring Eilean Ban and the home of the author Gavin Maxwell. I must admit I'm not really a fan of his - well, never read anything by him but the 7pounds it cost me to get on Eilean Ban island (which is the island below Skye Bridge) were worth it just for the information, stories, and getting up in the beautiful lighthouse on the island. We also sat in a Wildlife Hide where we saw some more seals. To get this tour you pay for a ticket in a little place at the very end of Kyleakin and then you either walk or drive (I already returned my car so I walked, which was great fun actually) back through Kyleakin, up Skye Bridge until the middle of it, there's a little gate there where they take on the tour at 2pm.

As for food, I'm vegan so haven't had plenty of options and ate a lot of fries lol I do recommend:

1. Cafe Arriba I think it's called, in Portree. I even went back there a second time, food is great, quality ingredients, feels healthier and more excitement than most places I've been to.

2. In Dunvegan I recommend the Old School restaurant which is a little posh and expensive and you need to book in advance but I took some take away and it was so yummy. They even charged me less cos it was take away.

3. But my favorite place was Ellishadder Art Cafe just by Staffin. It's easy to miss on the road but there's a sign pointing to a side road to get to it. Food was stunning (it helps for me that this place is vegetarian too so there were a few vegan options), the ladies there are lovely and it's also a sort of art studio so it's really cute. There's even a cat walking around. And after food they let me feed their hens with some bread lol that was fun.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Edited: 03 October 2013, 13:42
Mentioned in this post
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Dunvegan
Dunvegan
Isle of Skye, UK
Kyleakin
Kyleakin
Isle of Skye, UK