We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Hi all..we are off to Skye on 26th October for a week. Staying in a cottage in Dunvegen and my main question really is; is it worth driving over to the mainland for a day out and if so where ? Hubby loves driving (he has tried to persuade me it is a good idea to drive to Inverness but I think not !)

Also, I understand it is towards the end of the season and things may be closing for the winter; we plan to have a decent lunch out whilst touring the island and maybe stay in of a night .... Will most places still be open and are there many shops to buy supplies?

Wanted to go to Harris for the day but have given up on that idea as I can't work out how to get a ferry there and back in one day ( I'm a woman so I am probably reading the timetable incorrectly Lol)

Hubby, myself and Poppy the Wheaten Terrier will be very happy staying on Skye, I think the main problem will be trying to entertain 2 15 yr old girls.....no Primark, No Maccy D's but hopefully WiFi !!!

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,102 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Funnily enough I was on the gondola at Nevis Range today, it was a little chilly but the sun was shining and the views just absolutely stunning :-)

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

We will be there at the same time and did the same last year. While it is certainly quieter this time of year there are still things to see and do. Weather permitting there are boat trips available, I think the Elgol boat runs all year, you can check online. Your nearest big Co-Op is at Portree and we tend to pass that way to stock up when we arrive. There is a shop in Dunvegan but also check out Fruit and Nuts across the road. As well as an unusual range of food they also rent out DVDs.

Plenty of good walks to do.. Neist Point and Rhuba Huinish are our favourites but Coral Beaches also good. If you feel like a long one then whale watching from Waternish Point is worth the effort.

We like the Stein Inn but then it is only a few yards from where we stay.

Enjoy Skye.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

You need to take a short drive on the mainland to Plockton, beautiful village with excellent restaurants. If the weather holds Calumns Seal Boat may still be running.

http://www.calums-sealtrips.com/

www.plockton.com/activities/index.shtml

Just before you cross over to Skye you can do a little shopping in Kyle of Localsh and visit Eileen Donan castle.

A longer drive to Applecross is essential - and the road will satisfy the teenagers rollercoaster appetite!

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Thanks for the info cumbriangenie and heidotheroad; could we do the whale watching and then have tea in the Stein Inn ?? Trying to eat out on the way back from a day out so we don't have to go back to the cottage and then out again.

Have looked at lots of places to eat but so many seem to be shut the weekend we get there. I see it is really sunny and light winds in Skye at the minute; we can only cross our fingers :)

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

North Wales to Skye, not a lot of time for stop-offs so I guess Glasgow would take too much time. North of Glasgow there is plenty to see. Loch Lomond, Glencoe and Fort William spring to mind. Oh yes, when travelling north I always turn off the M6 at Kendal, drive via Windermere and Kirkstone Pass, rejoining the M6 at Penrith just to make a break from M6 / M74 motorways.

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Thanks Paul.......not sure we have time to take in the Lake District but defo planning on having a look round Glencoe and Fort William. We'll be arriving by torchlight at midnight lol

Portree
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

There is a cinema in Portree,shows films every weekend, look in West Highland Free Press for the weekends showings, Broadford has a serpentarium which is worth a visit , Dunvegan has two beaches The Coral Beach past the castle and Orbost beach,the bakers is well worth going to daily for fresh rolls and bread,the cakes are also very good especially the Ginger Bread and John and Janice will make you very welcome,Dunvegan is also the home of Danny MacKaskill the trick biker and his father has the Giant MacKaskill museum as well as an old thatched cottage museum beside the Three Chimneys,. The Edinbane Inn is well worth a visit for dining out as well as the Old School Restraunt.Skye Skyns in Waternish is one of two Sheep leather tanneries in the UK and in Waternish maybe six miles from Dunvegan.If you like seafood go to Dunvegan pier about 6pm and you will be able to purchase Langoustine from local vessels like the My Amber or Sealgair, Crab and Lobster from the Ronaid . There will be pleny attractions open until end of October which is generally end of season for Skye and at moment weather has been great, no wind or rain just bonnie blue skies

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Thank you so much Abemnik; some great suggestions. We will defo go to Dunvegen pier. How far is it to Portree from Dunvegen ? Would be able to go there for tea or is too far. Just looking for a decent meal;nothing too fancy as the girls won't eat it. Sorry for all the questions.

We can only hope for a couple of nice days like you are having at the min.

Your post has made me very excited for our trip :)

Portree
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

It is 22 miles Portree from Dunvegan ,roughly half an hour driving within the speed limit ,so in my opinion Portree is well worth a visit to dine out ,I would also say go to the Isles Inn in the main square in Portree to eat as they provide a good value tasty meal,Unfortunately the Fat Panda (Chinese) is closed and I wouldnt go to the Indian due to past experiences

Edited: 16 October 2013, 00:02
Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
555 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Will everywhere be open at the end of October ?

Thanks Abemnik; hubby doesn't 'do' Indian so no probs there. 30 minute drive is great so no doubt we will try Portree a few times :)

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye