We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help for Isle of Skye & Scotland

Seattle, Washington
8 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help for Isle of Skye & Scotland

I visited Edinburgh last May after a business trip to London and stayed in Edinburgh for 2 days and then did a 3 day tour up to the Isle of Skye. I loved Scotland and will be returning this coming May with my husband. I have a few questions - any and all help would be appreciated:

1) Is it worth visiting Glasgow? Is the drive up to the Isle of Skye more scenic and interesting from Edinburgh or Glasgow?

2) Would you recommend taking the train up from London to Edinburgh or flying?

3) We'll have a week in London and then a week and a half in Scotland. I was planning on spending time in Edinburgh and the Isle of Skye (potentially adding Glasgow). Should we add in another destination? The Isle of Skye blew me away last time I was there

4) When I was on the tour, we stayed in a B&B in Portree. Is this the best place to stay or are there other places you would recommend we overnight?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help for Isle of Skye & Scotland

1. Yes, but it can easily be done in a day trip by train from Edinburgh. The drive to Skye is no different, but there is a choice of routes wherever you start from.

2. The train from London to Edinburgh is quite a scenic route, so if you can spare the time and get a ticket at a sensible price, I would recommend that.

3. I think two or three days in Edinburgh and a week on Skye would work well. You could take a side trip to the North-West Highlands or Lewis/Harris as well if you like.

4. Portree is the 'capital' of Skye - it is fairly central and has quite a lot of accommodation, so it's a good place to stay.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 23:32
2. Re: Itinerary help for Isle of Skye & Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:18