We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine dining in Scotland.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Fine dining in Scotland.

I tried to make reservations for two for the "Kitchen Table" at the Three Chimneys Restaurant in Skye. The price was 110 GBP per person. That's $361 USD (before wine and gratuity) for two people. Is this price point typical for fine dining establishments in Scotland or is this unusual? I may not be able to afford eating well on this trip if that's the case! Sorry to whine, but this is a real concern for me. I suppose the chief problem is the GBP to USD conversion.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

The standard menu is £60 per person so it is possible to eat at this restaurant for almost half what you have booked for.

Fine dining does not come cheap and if that is your thing then you will have to splash the cash.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

Well the price I was sent in an email response to my reservation request today was 110 GBP per person. The menu published on their web page says 90 GBP. Maybe you are looking at a different menu, or I am looking in the wrong place.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 22:05
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

I think the point was that it is possible to eat at the restaurant for much less than eating the most expensive menu at a table that gets charged a premium.

This is the standard dinner menu on the website:

threechimneys.co.uk/attachments/Dinner-April…

As Williamnt says, £60 for three courses.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

@Williamnt: I see that on the regular dinner menu, the price is indeed 60 GBP, and I apologize. I asked for the Kitchen Table and the "Isle of Skye Showcase" menu on my reservation request. The "Isle of Skye Showcase" was priced at £90 on the sample menu on the web page.

The response to my reservation request noted a price per person of £110, which I must assume is either due to a premium for seating at the Kitchen Table or a price increase that has occurrred since the menu was published online. If the latter is the case, I wonder if £60 is still the price for the regular dinner.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

As you have booked the Kitchen Table I expect it attracts a premium which is why you have been quoted £110 per person.

The Isle of Skye menu taken, not at the exclusive Kitchen Table, would "only" cost £90 per person as advertised

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

" I must assume is either due to a premium for seating at the Kitchen Table or a price increase that has occurrred since the menu was published online"

The first is almost certainly the reason. The only reason any restaurant sets up a chefs or kitchen table is so they can charge people extra to sit at it!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

OK. All clear. I feel like an idiot now for posting this question.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask, LOL.

I would also look at Kinloch Lodge, it has a Michelin Star. They only have the Tasting Menu sample on their website, but I think their standard 3 course excluding wine is also about £50-60 per person. Eaten there a few times, and loved it.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
535 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

Thanks ARHHHHHH. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

London
Level Contributor
9,864 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine dining in Scotland.

Three Chimneys is certainly expensive, but oh my goodness it's good!