We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Hello, we are a group consisting of 4 families doing the glasgow to kyle of lochalsh train journey. We plan to do the return journey to Glasgow on the same day and will have around 3 hours to spend in kyle of lochalsh. Any suggestions for a quick guided bus tour or a walking route?

Go to St Kilda
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Multi-day Tours
Skyeskyns
Sightseeing Tours
Skye Scenic Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Real Scottish Journeys - Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Hi,

Do you mean via Inverness? I'm not aware trains run from Glasgow to Kyle. I think with 3 hours, you'll be able to examine every bit of the place. Enjoy.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Kyle is a small village, you will have plenty of time to walk around, visit the museum and bookshop in the railway station and have a bite to eat.

But there are no direct trains from Glasgow to Kyle, you would have to travel via Inverness and the journey will take over 6 hours each way.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 17:32
Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Get a taxi ride to Eilean Donan Castle.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,678 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

How about a boat trip http://www.seaprobeatlantis.com/index.shtml

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Is there a chance you are thinking of Mallaig?

It is a gorgeous trip.

If you like seafood you could have a long lunch there between trains.

Otherwise there is a small museum. There are boat trips from Arisaig but I think they are longer than 3 hours. You could try and arrange a boat trip from one of the Mallaig boats - I think Bruce Watt is one.

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

The train journey is via Inverness and will take over 6 hours. We will probably walk around and explore the village.. find some view points. I just hope we don't get too wet :-) Meanwhile we will also be calling up some guided tour companies to check if they can arrange something for our group. We are really looking forward to the scenic train journey more than anything else. Any suggestions for things to look out for on this scenic train route?

7. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 08:05
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

The reason for fifporter mentioning Mallaig is because the route from Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig is every bus as spectacular, or even more so!

That's approx 5 hrs each way, with a few hours in Mallaig or taking the ferry to Skye and back. Or taking your break somewhere like Glenfinnan instead ...

road-to-the-isles.org.uk/about-the-area.php

-

From Kyle, you can get a bus across to Skye but obviously, little time to explore the island - probably you'd get as far as Broadford and back.

http://www.isleofskye.com/ has sections on buses and boats

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

You don't say when your trip will be, but if the weather's nice a walk across the Skye Bridge would be scenic. Otherwise, I think no 3's suggestion is the best idea - but you'll need more than one taxi!

Another option would be to take taxis to Plockton, which is much more pleasant and attractive than Kyle of Lochalsh. You can catch your train back to Inverness from there.

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
419 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 hours in Kyle of Lochalsh

Not a lot of time here so very limited. I would suggest a taxi out to Eilean Donan castle, which is at Dornie, 7 miles away. Over the bridge to Kyleakin, north up to Plockton. You will need a taxi though.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye