We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seniors car hire

Canberra
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Seniors car hire

I am 75 and want to hire a car in Scotland to drive to the Isle of Skye in October. I have heard that there may be age restrictions for seniors. The sites I've visited suggest phoning car hire firms direct to get a definitive answer to this question, but it's not an option from Australia. Can anyone help, please?

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seniors car hire

Why isn't it an option to call Scotland from Australia?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,911 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seniors car hire

There will be restrictions . Have a look at the Arnold Clark Rental website . They have rentals throughout Scotland and at the bottom of their web page is a Contact link with a message form to fill in with your question. I think that different companies use different insurers so I suspect that there is not one simple answer that applies to all companies.

Canberra
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seniors car hire

Because I would probably need to make multiple calls, possibly be put on hold for periods of time and it could be a costly exercise, which, being retired and not earning an income, I wish to avoid.

Canberra
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seniors car hire

Many thanks for your help, hardygeranium. I'll look at the website you suggest. Your prompt reply is appreciated as I need to get the plane from Oz booked.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seniors car hire

There are two reputable agencies that arrange cheap rentals with the major companies: www.autoeurope.com.au and www.driveaway.com.au

With both of them, when you start to make a booking (or even an enquiry), one of the compulsory questions is the driver's age. I would assume that the web sites will say if there is any problem. Or you could phone their Australian numbers.

Phone calls to the UK are not necessarily expensive, depending on your phone plan. My wife was on the phone to the USA for over 30 minutes a few months ago, and the cost was around $1.50.

Canberra
Level Contributor
15 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seniors car hire

Thanks for your help sydneynick. I don't have a phone plan - landline and mobile prepay only. I trawled through the car rental websites before I posted and they don't give details on age restrictions. I don't trust asking here in Oz and expecting to get the correct info for Scotland. It may all be too difficult: I don't want to go to Skye without a car, especially in October, so maybe will change my plans to a location more accessible by public transport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,574 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seniors car hire

You can call from Skype for about 2 cents per minute. no phone plan needed.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seniors car hire

Are you serious - a landline but you can't dial overseas. Surely Australia has an up to date phone system ?

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seniors car hire

Angela,

One of the largest car hire firms in Scotland is Arnold Clark (I have used them for both personal and company reasons) and their website states that drivers over 75 "may be asked to provide medical proof". I phoned them to ask what that meant exactly and they explained that provided the driver was under 80 years of age, they would simply require a letter from your GP to confirm that you were fit to drive. No need to forward a letter in advance, just book the car hire and show them the letter when you arrive. Hope that helps a bit.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,593 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seniors car hire

Angela,

dont give this up, if you want to visit Skye you must put in a bit of effort, it is worth it. Post 9 gives you good advice, I would e mail Arnold Clarke, I always prefer e mail over phone call as you can print out their reply and take it with you, it is quite possible to get someone on the phone who says' sure, it'll be ok' and then to arrive and they deny all knowledge of the phone call. If you have an e-mail saying Dr's letter is sufficient, they cant argue.