We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Within Isle of Skye

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Travel Within Isle of Skye

Hi everybody, I will be travelling with a few friends to Scotland during mid May. We will be travelling from London so our plan is to travel to Edinburgh via train in the morning and stay in Edinburgh for 1 night. For the next day, we are thinking of taking a train to Fort William and take the Jacobite Steam train to Mallaig where we take a ferry to Isle of Skye Armadale. However, we want to travel to Glendale because we prefers those scenic places (Fairy Pool, Neist Point etc) but we do not know how to travel from Armadale to Glendale. Also we also don't know on how to travel to Fairy Pool. We are not driving so we only can take the public transport. However, if there is really no public transport to these places, maybe we have to give Isle of Skye a miss and visit other places in Scotland? If so, which places should we replace Isle of Skye?

We will be staying for 2 nights in Isle of Skye so we plan to just explore those scenic places and take photos. After that, we will be heading back to either Glasgow or Edinburgh for a flight to Europe. We also hope there will be suggestions on where to visit in Isle of Skye as we are quite confused too!

On a side note, will it be better to follow the itinerary as mentioned above or as mentioned below?

Overnight train to Fort William from London and take the Jacobite Steam Train to Mallaig and then ferry to Isle of Skye for 2 nights and then train back to Edinburgh for 2 nights. Means total 4 Days in Scotland.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :))

Edited: 15 February 2014, 11:48
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

It depends. If you don't want to spend time in Edinburgh go with plan B. Edinburgh is worth a couple of days if you can spare it though.

When you get to Skye hire a car. It's the only way to see the places you want in such a short time frame.

The fairy pools are not in Glendale so you would need to get transport there.

There are so many scenic places on Skye, it wold be a shame not to see more of the island. In my opinion you shouldn't miss the Trotternish peninsula and Elgol

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

If anyone in your party has a driving licence, I agree with thegoodwitch that you need to pick up a hire car when you arrive on Skye. There are a couple of local car hire firms on Skye, and they will deliver and collect at Armadale.

If I understand your two plans correctly, Plan B will give you more time in Edinburgh, not less. The choice between your two plans is fairly marginal, IMO. The sleeper can be good fun, and an interesting way to travel, although you may not sleep very well! But the day train is scenic, and you won't enjoy the view if you are asleep, obviously!

The sleeper can be expensive, although you might be able to keep the cost down if you search for 'Bargain Berths' on the Scotrail website.

have a great trip!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

Thanks to both of you who replied very fast! Actually both plans are roughly the same with 4 days in Scotland, but Plan B will have more time in Edinburgh because of the overnight train. Plan B looks better because it will be more convenient as we will be taking a plane to Europe.

Hmm so there isn't buses in Isle of Skye to travel around?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

Yes there are buses on Skye, but they are fairly infrequent, and they don't go to all the places that you want to visit. You refer to 'a few friends', OP - how many of you will there be?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

Oh i see, there are 6 of us travelling together. :)

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,413 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

The busses I saw on Skye were running the few main roads, they do not cover all areas, and with 6 persons + luggage you will need a mini-van (people carrier) or huge SUV.

Safe Journeys !

Sunny

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

This firm will hire out a multi-seater vehicle (large MPV), and they will probably deliver and collect at Armadale. http://www.morarmotors.co.uk/ Also try http://www.m2-motors.co.uk/car-hire or http://www.smorrison.co.uk/

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,216 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that it's not possible to reach Fort William in time for the Jacobit unless you board the sleeper in Edinburgh at about 0450 or something like that.

I'd go for Plan B. There is something delightful about waking up on the train in the middle of the magnificent scenery. Wake up as soon as it's light enough to see out!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,182 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

Good point by no 8 - there is a second Jacobite run in the afternoon, but it doesn't start until June. However, if you're not fussed about travelling on a vintage steam train and just want to get to Mallaig and enjoy the scenery, the ordinary Scotrail trains are fine and a lot cheaper!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,216 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Within Isle of Skye

I think the afternoon Jacobite is Monday to Friday only as well, though I could be wrong. I've travelled the rout eon an ordinary Scotrail service, and it was absolutely fine. The train even stopped on Glenfinnan viaduct for the view!