We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

Netherlands
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

Hello, we are in the process in finalizing our May Scotland trip and need some advice...

From our accommodation in Glencoe we will drive to Skye taking the Glenelg ferry and hopefully be in Kyleakin around 2:00 pm the latest. We have already booked accommodations near (around 10 km) Broadford. After that we have 2 full days plus the afternoon of arrival, to spend on the island.

We would love to do/see the following:

1. Aquaxplore Puffin Run - 3.5 to 4 hours based on their website

2. Go to Fairy Pools

3. North of Portree - Old Man of Storr. Doesnt have to do the whole climb.

Is it possible to combine two of the three in one day and which one? I've looked at the map and have an idea how far each place is but would love to hear from the locals or those who have been there.

Thanks in advance!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

You should be able to fit all that in quite easily. The Fairy Pools is not a long walk - there and back from the parking place in well under an hour, although you can take longer if you like, of course, or you can make it part of a longer walk in the hills.

Aquaexplore go from Elgol, so that's a fair way from you other two destinations. I suggest you contact Aquaexplore and book your trip on one of your two complete days. Then you can do the Old Man of Storr on your other complete day, and maybe fit in the Fairy Pools on the day you arrive. In May the days are long, so you can expect daylight until well after 10 pm.

Have a great trip!

Netherlands
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

Thanks Dhmellor! I'll be booking with Aquaxplore and researching more about Old Man of Storr...

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

AquaXplore normally do a morning and afternoon Puffin Run, so if you choose the morning one you could certainly do the Fairy Pools in the afternoon - www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/fairypools.shtml - it's not that far to drive from Elgol to Glenbrittle. Do keep in mind though that AquaXplore, like all boat trips, is weather dependent, so even the best laid plan may well come a cropper - plan Bs are always useful to have when visiting the West Highlands & Islands! ;)

The Old Man of Storr could be done while touring the Trotternish Peninsula, taking in Staffin and the Quiraing too - www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/thestorr.shtml

walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/biodabuidhe.shtml

www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml

As Dhmellor says, the days are nice and long in May - you have plenty time! :) Have a great holiday on Skye!

Brno, Czech Republic
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

Me and my 3 friends are planning very similar trip in the beginning of May. We plan to hire a car in Armadale around 1 p.m. I wonder if we can do AquaXplore and Fairy Pools during one afternoon because I'm more interested in hiking in the north of the island. Thanks for replies :)

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

AquaXplore do offer a shorter trip, but that obviously doesn't go out as far, so it wouldn't be the Puffin Run for instance. It's a canny drive to get down to Elgol, so I would say it's practically impossible to manage both AquaXplore and the Fairy Pools in 1 afternoon, especially if you're not arriving in Armadale until 1pm! The drive from Armadale to Elgol will be approx. 1 hr (maybe more depending on how you adapt to single track roads with passing places.. oh and sheep!!). The boat trip (AquaXplore sometimes offers 1 hr trips along the coastline), might not be departing at exactly the time you pull into Elgol - you might have to wait for half an hour, maybe an hour - and you definitely need to have this pre-booked, so at least you'll know in advance what time it departs!

If you are wanting to focus on the Trotternish Ridge for walking while you're here, then maybe it might be worth considering the Divers Eye trips out of Stein (Waternish Peninsula - closer to the Trotternish peninsula) - http://www.divers-eye.co.uk - they do a trip that is classed as boat in-walk out - could be something that might interest you all?

Anyway, back to Elgol! If you've done the 1 hr boat trip and it worked out perfectly timing wise, then you could be driving back out from Elgol, by approx. 3.30pm (at the very earliest!), you then have approx. 1.5hrs driving to Glenbrittle, for the start of the Fairy Pools walk - I appreciate it's light until late in May, but still, this is a late start for a 3 hr walk into the mountains and you haven't really had a rest yet, or anything to eat!

Hope this helps a bit!! Have a great visit to Skye! :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
197 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

hiya the fairy pools and stor can easily be done in the one day, once you park up its only a short walk up to the old man of store. Aqua explore is ace, and Broadford is a good please to stay. I have been to skye several times, in fact I got married in Broadford 10 years ago , I'm going back this July x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
197 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

Ive done the aqua explore before, you get a bit wet and it's physically tiring , so you bill probs just want to warm up and get a refreshment after it x

Netherlands
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

@Yorkielass - thanks for all the info and links. We are going to get a Flexi ticket and keep tabs of the weather a few days before our boat trip... And yes be prepared with Plan B and our rain gear :-)

Netherlands
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

@knk12345 - yes we cannot wait to try it, counting the days actually :-) have a great trip in July!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
197 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skye - 2.5 day itinerary

What accomodation are you staying in , in Broadford, I have stayed there a few times! and got married there too :-)