We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

Hi all,

Well we have finally sorted out our accommodations but now I am wondering if our itinerary is a bit too ambitious! Would love your thoughts from a logistical standpoint:

Sunday:: Arrive in Edinburgh from London around 1pm, check into hotel and check out the city…Royal Mile, Calton Hill, etc.

Monday:: Edinburgh: more exploring. Tickets to Royal Military Tattoo this evening.

Tuesday:: Edinburgh, more exploring

Wednesday: Hire a car and head towards Isle of Skye. Plan to stop at Eileen Donan castle before taking the Skye bridge to our B&B in Kyleakin. Any suggestions of other places to stop half-way in our journey? I was estimating it would be about 4.5hrs drive? Any suggestions where we can hire a car? I thought of the airport as we want an automatic and I read there will be more options at the airport. Alternatively, I wondered if we should take the train from Edinburgh to Fort William and hire a car there for the rest of the journey. If it makes no difference to time, I think I’d prefer to drive.

Thursday:: Explore Skye

Friday: Drive to Armadale, ferry across to Mallaig and onwards towards our B&B in Glencoe. How long would this journey take (from Kyleakin-Armadale-Mallaig-Glencoe)? We were planning to stop at the Clan Donald Skye in Armadale & Glenfinnan Viaduct on our way through.

Sat: Explore Glencoe & area (possibly Oban too)

Sun: Head towards Glasgow, return car and fly to Dublin. Flight not booked, planning a later flight around 5pm so we can take our time driving to Glasgow. I am not sure if we are flying out of Glasgow International or Prestwick? (sorry if I have that spelled wrong). I assume we can return the car to either?

I have done googlemaps and other road planning sites but would love a real prospective from locals. THANK YOU!

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

Hi- your itinery is busy but more than possible. You can drive direct from Edinburgh over the Forth bridge in c4.5 hrs but i would advise taking the Stirling road as the castle is really something to see and will only add on an extra 20mins to your journey (check the route planner on www.theaa.com), There are plenty of car hire places nr town and it would save you 3 days extra hire from the airport but you would prob have to book an automatic in advance.

Skye has great walks and some good restaurants (try the three chimneys in dunvegan)

Glasgow airport has more car hire places so maybe a better chance of returning it here; aer lingus fly to dublin from here, from prestwick Ryanair is your best bet- note this airport is c40mins from glasgow city centre

have a great time

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

We drive Edinburgh to Skye regularly. We allow about 6 hours and we normally stop twice.

Our regular stops include the Real Food Cafe at Tyndrum for breakfast or lunch. They do a really good black pudding roll.

Further on we like to stop at the Clachaig Inn in Glen Coe.

There's the Lochaber Farm shop and Cafe just north of Fort William on the road to the ski centre

I'd always book a car at the airport. It's a very slick operation there and you can get the airport bus straight from town

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

If you are flying from Prestwick you will be using Ryanair which has strict baggage rules and weight limits.

Do check all their T&C before booking as the headline cost may be nothing like the final cost.

And add approximately another hour onto your driving time as Prestwick is some way away from Glasgow

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

It's a good itinerary. If you take the train to Fort William and then pick up a hire car you will probably need to return it to Fort William, so that may not be a good idea.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

All excellent points worth noting!! Thank you all. We had hoped to fit in Stirling Castle so it's nice to know that is possible. I will look into Aer Lingus then as I don't want to spend more time travelling to an airport...would rather spend that time in Glencoe and surrounds. Thanks for restaurant suggestions too!

I really appreciate the feedback! If you anyone ever needs advice on travelling to Canada (in particular Ontario), I am your girl and would be happy to return the favour!

Cheers!

Carrie

6. Re: Itinerary: Edinburgh-Skye-Glencoe-Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:18