We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Splitting up some questions into their own message threads to focus on different areas - A fairly short visit to Skye as part of our trip, we will be driving and my general plan is below, with some questions I am hoping for some input on at the end.

Tues Jul 1 - Fort William to Isle of Skye

- Breakfast at BNB

- Glenfinnan Viaduct

- Mallaig, Ferry to Skye

- Sligachan Hotel for a drink (and lunch?)

- Portree

- BNB in Portree

Weds Jul 2 Isle of Skye

- Breakfast at BNB

- Drive to Walk (~35-45m drive from B&B via the slower route (aka. Via Staffin)

- Walk Biode Budhe (~2 hours)

- Biode Budhe to brewery (~15m driving)

- Isle of Sky Brewery – is there someplace to eat around here? Pack a lunch?

- Possibly do Fairy Glen Walk (1-2 hours 1.5km)

- Brewery to Dornie (~1h30 driving time)

- See Eileen Donan Castle in Dornie (or rather photos from the parking lot since it will likely be closed to visitors by then :) ), dinner at local pub

- Staying in Dornie

Questions:

Is an hour at Glenfinnan too much? too little?

Any recommendations for lunch and things to see in Mallaig? I suspect we will end up taking the 13:55 ferry since making it for the 12:20 might be cutting it close?

General suggestions for Portree ? I figured we would just wander around for the most part. I found a few pubs (Merchant Bar, Isles Inn, Royal Hotel) that supposedly have better beer selections. Any good spots for music in the evening? Good views? Our BNB is walkable from town.

Does the second day seem like it makes sense?

In Uig The Pier restaurant seems like the logical place to eat, and try the Skye beers but I'm open to suggestions.

I am tempted by the longer Quiraing walk but I don't want to be too tired for the drive to Dornie. Similarly I had wanted to include Dunvegan but I'm not sure there is time.

Thanks in advance!

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

The drive to Dornie is about 1hr, I would prefer the scenery of the Quiraing rather than cutting it short! Lots of places round the centre of Portree. Royal will probably have live music mainly at weekends though. Fairly Glen is nice to visit but once you see it thats about it.

At Dornie, the Dornie Hotel or the Clachan do good pub food.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

How strenuous is the Quiraing trail? It seems relatively long from the description here - www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml

The trail looks fairly well worn in the pictures here - isleofskye.com/skye-guide/…the-quiraing

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Your question about the Quiraing is impossible to answer without knowing how fit and experienced you are. But as far I can recall it is easy to follow and well-trodden - if the weather is good you will not be alone!

Overall it your trip looks doable, but you need to keep your plan flexible, and adjust according to the fickle Skye climate.

Nothing much to do at lunchtime in Mallaig, except have lunch, and there are plenty of places to do that, largely because of the crowds of day trippers off the Jacobite train. If the weather is fine, an economical and pleasant option is to eat fish and chips on the harbour wall.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

We are moderately fit (we play ball hockey weekly) but the last hike I did was short but very vertical winded us enough that I am cautious now when planning :)

How does it work in Mallaig? Can you just park in line near the ferry and wander or do you need to wait until closer to your departure?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Ahh, I see that there is a large parking lot according to google maps.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Hi kjk...where are you staying in Skye? I'm presently looking for affordable accommodations. Thanks.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

We booked here tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g551883-d5028156… which we actually found through AirBnB. It seems nice enough, I guess we will find out! A lot of the popular options were very booked up very far in advance.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Thanks. It looks nice. Only a single room left though. I'm sure it will be fine for you.

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

Glenfinnan is a stunning spot .If you've programmed in an hour, does that mean you are planning to walk up to the viaduct itself? It's about a mile in from the station.

You can park in the ferry queue at Mallaig and leave the car.However, you could look at having a pub lunch at Eilean Iarmain hotel ,in its very Gaelic and atmospheric Praban bar.Local real ale and good whisky selection.It's in a superb location too.

Sligachan Hotel is ok for lunch .....great location.

The Biode Budhe walk is to a summit on the Trotternish ridge,not the Quiraing.It is on the opposite side of the ridge from the Q. It is a lovely walk in itself.

The most popular Quiraing walk is about 2hrs.The longer route you mention is the one which takes you right up onto the escarpment above the Quiraing which fewer people do.As you've found, isleofskye.com covers it really well...it is eroded in places over steep ground.The Storr walk is an alternative.

Flodigarry Hotel near Staffin does decent lunches in a great location.Don't know of any in Uig.

Fairy Glen walk seems to be popular but it's never hugely impressed me...better picking a coastal walk or getting closer to the Cuillin or just seeing somewhere else....Steinn village is nice with decent pub/food too.

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1.5 days in Skye from Fort William

I meant to add.... a short walk option is the Fairy Pools which, although the pools themselves are attractive enough, to me the main thing is it gets you a bit closer to the Black Cuillin for little effort.An option for either day,via a detour from Sligachan along the Glen Brittle road.About an hour return, more if you want to walk further into the primeval landscape ahead.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye