We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

Hi ya,

I am temporary resident from India living in Edinburgh with minimum knowledge of the Scottish Highlands. My parents are visiting me in June and I plan to show them around few places and Isle of Skye is on the list. I plan to do it on a 3 day trip driving from Edinburgh.

The below is what I thought I can do. But I am not sure if am missing something.

I plan to start early from Edinburgh on Day 1 and plan to drive until Fort William. I would like to go on the Jacobite Train as well. I read online that Jacobite train runs from Fort William until Mallaig from where I can take a ferry to Isle of Skye. If I reach Isle by night Day 1, I can spend day 1 night and the day 2 full and then start mid day Day 3 from Isle and reach Edinburgh Day 3 night.

In relation to the Jacobite journey, I am wondering if there would be any midpoint where I can park the car and complete the Jacobite route and then take the car from Mallaig to Isle using a Ferry. Or should I just park the car at Fort William and complete Jacobite and come back again to Fort William to get the car and then drive or use a ferry to the Isle.

Since I am a complete newbie, can you please help me if the above can be worked out. Or any type of itinerary would be much appreciated.

And does 3 days trip to Isle looks ok?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Cheers

Karthik

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

there are regular scotrail trains on the same route, FW <--> Mallaig. The jacobite itself runs infrequently. Therefore a return journey (for the driver) is feasible but will take up quite a bit of time.

The road and rail line run parallel pretty much all the way; therefore largely the same view, but not so much fun for the driver. But it does mean you can stop at any point you want to admire the view, and for as long as you want.

The bit of track most people want to see is the Glenfinnan viaduct. There are stations at Locheil and Lochailort which would allow you to use a train for a SHORT journey and hence minimise car shuttle time. Not sure if the Jacobite stops at these stations. I suspect not.

Personally I think the best deal is to go to Glenfinnan by car and time it to coincide with a steam train passing over the viaduct; then continue.

scotrail.co.uk/sites/…WHL13.pdf

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply Derek...

So are you suggesting that I take ScotRail instead of Jacobite from Glenfinnan viaduct is it??? And as I checked the Jacobite site, the train starts at FW and ends at Mallaig and dont see any stations where we can get on to the train.

Can you see any other mode of transport which would get me to Fort William back from Mallaig?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

I'm really suggesting you do the entire trip by car because it will take a LOT of time if you try to travel all or part of the route by train, then travel back and forth to pick up the car.

I realise you may want the romanticism of the Jacobite steam train. And yes you're right: the Jacobite has very limited stops at stations and the scotrail trains stop at the places I mentioned.

One possibility is:

park at Fort WIlliam

Jacobite to Mallaig

scotrail back to Fort WIlliam

Drive to Mallaig, and continue to Skye.

This will turn a steam train ride into an all-day trip.

Another possibility is,

abandon your car at Fort WIlliam,

Jacobite to Mallaig

foot passengers to Skye

pre-arrange a car hire for your time on Skye.

Your transport Choices from FW to/from Mallaig are the two train companies, car or bus.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

As Derek G says, the road and the train cover the same route.

The most famous point on the train line is the Glenfinnan viaduct, featured in Harry Potter. Of course, when you are on the train, you cannot see the viaduct!

I would drive from Fort William to Mallaig, timing your trip so that you can see the Jacobite passing over the viaduct.

Having your car with you will also give you much more flexibility for your trip to Skye.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

In my experience the train driver stops just before and just after the viaduct so that the passengers have time to take pictures looking forward and back. You can get a good shot of the train on the viaduct that way

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

Thanks again for your suggestion Derek.. And you are right... Just trying to complete that train journey, I might end up wasting a whole day shuttling back and forth eventually reaching Isle in the evening.. Or just as I thought one more avenue.. Drive until fort williams, drop my parents for the Jacobite, I will drive to Mallaig in time to pick them at Mallaig and carry on our trip to the Isle. Atleast they will get that opportunity.

And thanks bongo and thegoodwitch!!

I am planning to put up my stay at Broadford. Can one of you kindly suggest the worthwhile places I can visit on Day 1 evening, Day 2 and Day 3 morning so that I can return on time to Edinburgh...

One another thought was if I could take a 3 days tour that some operators do to the Isle. Can one of you give me thoughts about that? Cost wise I am seeing both options run down the same line.

Any thoughts?

7. Re: Edinburgh to Isle Of Skye via Fort William covering Jacobite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye