We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Holiday on Skye in September

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Family Holiday on Skye in September

Hi everyone,

I've just booked a holiday on Skye for my family in September - and I would like lots of your sage wisdom and advice please...

We will have our own car. We would love some tips on things to see and do. We love all things natural - so beautiful landscapes, features, and wildlife particularly are high on our list. We have three boys - 6, 7 and 9 - so whatever we do has to take them into account. Our budget is also on the tight side too.

My oldest son loves dinosaurs - I understand there's a fossilised footprint on a beach in the north?

We are staying near Staffin, but are happy (and plan) to travel all over the island. We would love to do a boat trip, with seeing wildlife the key reason for it, so which trips would you recommend? I like the look of the AquaXplore trip - although the price is putting me off a little for 5 persons, and are the RIB boats OK for children of our boys' ages? Where has the best chance of seeing dolphins from land too?

We would love to visit some coral beaches, which are the best? Also the accessibility of the beaches are a factor too obviously. I hear Fairy Pools are a must see too?

Personally I love stargazing so I'm hoping the skies are dark enough and clear enough that time of year for that? Northern Lights a possibility?

Finally the less interesting practical stuff - shopping, cash machines, petrol stations, and mobile phone signal coverage info please?

Thank you in advance for any help offered...

Skye Weavers
Gift & Speciality Shops
Skye Batiks
Gift & Speciality Shops
Isle of Skye Oysters
Gift & Speciality Shops
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

I think the dinosaur footprint is on the beach at Staffin. There are information boards to help you find it. Have a look at this to help you plan your trip, the coral beach is listed and is well worth the walk from the car park but take supplies ( food and drink) for a picnic if it's nice.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186585-Activi…

Wouldn't have thought you would see the Aurora but who knows? We stayed near Portree so there were supermarkets and garages as well as cash machines ....We spent a fortune cos the weather wasn't great but in September you probably have as good a chance as any and the scenery is magnificent.

Happy hols

Woody x

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

Hi Localboy (and it seems you are local to me, too) - I'm sure you'll find loads to do on Skye - I just hope the weather is kind to you. Just driving around you will spot plenty of places, but places not to miss are the Cuillins (literally you can't miss them...!) Elgol, the Old Man of Storr, and the Quirang (on the direct road between Staffin and Uig) - all these have spectacular scenery. Try a day trip to Raasay (short ferry hop from Sconser), Talisker distillery, Dunvegan Castle, and the Museum of Island Life. Other than that, exploring by car (particularly off the beaten track) and parking up and walking can often yield wildlife gems. You'll get fed-up of seeing seals, and otters and dolphins are a good possibility (I've seen them twice from boats going in / out of Uig). Cashpoints and most provisions are available in Portree. Not sure about mobile phone signals though - patchy at best in the highlands and islands; though having said that, I'm on Vodafone and don't usually have a problem. I'm sure you'll find the sky in Staffin dark enough - so long as it's not cloudy.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

Hi

I have been on the aqua explore and I don't think it's suitable for young children.

There's a small repltile zoo in broadband ( skye serpentarium)

There's lots of majcal stores to tell the kids about for example fairy bridge and the fairy flag you can visit fairy bridge on a day out and can see the fairy flag in Dunvagan castle .

There's a glass bottom boat trip in Kyle of lo lash and you can hire canoes in Plockton.

When I go to skye I take some basic foods with me and I also take the first 2 nights meals with me in a cool box , usually a lasagna and a shepards pie.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

knk I am in kinks!! Broadband and Kyle of lo lash. Don't you just love predictive texts??

;-)))

England
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

Hello Localboy

I've stayed in a converted shed (I think it was) in Stenscholl. I am going back quite a number of years but if my memory serves me right - it's isn't a big place and as a ten year old I was a bit bored - nothing to do in the evenings except walk up and down the road. The sea isn't a million miles from Staffin, but from where we stayed you had to cross some fields to get to it.

Now I've got the bad bit out of the way - Staffin is situated in the north of the island on the Trotternish Peninsula and it is wild. I think there were some dinosaur footprint(s) found at Staffin Bay - the Staffin Museum may have some more information on this - if it's still there that is. There was a horse riding place in Uig when we went. I think it may still be there.

For boat trips have you considered using the 'public transport' - Caledonian MacBrayne do day trips. Visit their website and have a look see what you think. I went on the one to Harris and Lewis - saw the standing stones at Callanish. We went on a coach and when you leave Tarbert the road takes you along the coast and then turns in land. They do other trips. Of course always do your research I'm sure there are many more tour operators that maybe able to give you what you want.

Staffin is a tiny hamlet - a scattered collection of houses so there isn't the light pollution you would get from the town or a city. I don't know about the northern lights though...

ATM petrol station etc are found in Portree the main town on the island. I don't remember seeing petrol stations or ATMs elsewhere on the island, but I'm sure there must be some. Mobile phone coverage varies.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
21,680 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

There is a petrol station in Staffin and be sure to look out for the Tattie Bogal Trail ;-) http://www.tattiebogal.co.uk/

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

We went looking for the dinosaur footprints and eventually found them but they're not very obvious.

Try the Bella Jane boat trips from Elgol or go over the bridge to Plockton for Callums Seal trip

Edited: 21 May 2014, 12:22
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

Lol!!!!!! Oops!

9. Re: Family Holiday on Skye in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16