We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Edinburgh to Portree

Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Edinburgh to Portree

Hi!

My husband and I will be visiting Scotland in the last week of July 2014. I'm confused about our travel to and from Isle of Skye. We will be based in Edinburgh and will be visiting Isle of Skye for 2 nights and would like to have a car at our disposal whilst at Isle of Skye. So should we hire a car from Edinburgh and drive to Isle of Skye or should we take the train + ferry from Edinburgh to Isle of Skye and then hire a car locally in Portree? Which of these options would be more cost-effective? If there's a third option that I'm missing then please do enlighten me. Thanks much!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Edinburgh to Portree

Hi

A car on Skye is useful - but a car in Edinburgh definitely isn't a good idea.

Will you have a lot of luggage? You could pick a car up at Edinburgh airport. There is an airport bus that goes to the city centre quite frequently depending on where you are staying in Edinburgh.

The train journey is beautiful by the way.

You could always compare costs of hire car and fuel from Edinburgh with train and ferry (ferry is cheaper without a car) and picking up a car on Skye - http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk is local and could give you a quote.

All the usual suspects will be available at Edinburgh airport. Not sure if you pay a premium for picking up from an airport mind you.

Good luck.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,619 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Edinburgh to Portree

There are two possible train routes: to Mallaig (change at Glasgow Queen Street), or to Kyle of Lochalsh (change at Inverness). Both lines are very scenic, and you would enjoy either trip.

If you go via the ferry from Mallaig, a local car hire company would deliver a car for you to pick up at Armadale, on the Skye side. If you go to Kyle of Lochalsh, which is next to the Skye Bridge, the car hire company will deliver to the station for you to collect there.

The costs, compared with hiring a car from Edinburgh, are hard to predict. But if you buy your train tickets well in advance, you can save quite a lot on the fare.

3. Re: Travel from Edinburgh to Portree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16