We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

Hello Everyone

Me and my husband are planning a trip to Scotland this summer. We have booked 7 days in our calendar, addition to two days of travel (to n fro) from London. We will be visiting in 1st or 2nd week of July. I needed some suggestions/help from all the fellow travellers out here.

We will be arriving on a Saturday noon, taking rest day that in some hostel or B&B in Lochaber Area. Next day we are planning to hike Ben Navis and leave for Isle of Skye in post lunch. I hope its doable in half of the day. Next 5 days are all for Isle of Skye.

Now this is where I need a lot of help from you guys. This is our first trip to Isles, I have fallen in love with this place looking at the pictures.

We both are very much into hiking and walking. We would love to see Isle of Skye on foot where it is mangaeable, rest we will be driving around to see places. I have some places in mind that I picked up:

Elgol

Fairy Pools

Quiraing

Loch nan Eilean

Old Man of Storr

Fairy Glen

Neist Point

I hope its not too much in 5 days. Please recommend which places are best visited on foot and which all places we could hike to. If you think I am being too optimistic with my list of places, please do recommend that too.

Which would be an ideal base camp for us so as to allow easy commute to these places without having to travel long distance for each one of them.

Also We are more inclined towards camping, so please suggest some of the idea camp location out of all the places I mentioned. I would look for campsite myself, but would love to get an idea which will the most scenic location.

What will be the most scenic route while coming from Ben Nevis to Isle of Skye? Will the Skye Bride fall on the way? Any other ferry or on road routes?

Please do let us know if you want to recommend must go places to us while we visit Isle of Skye.

Awaiting your suggestions. Apology if some of questions sound weird. Just too excited to plan this trip out successfully.

Cheers,

Aanchal

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

Hi Aanchal

I have just returned from two weeks on Skye and it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to. The drive from Fort William to Mallaig is stunning (but you will then have to book the ferry crossing to Armadale). We spent the first week based in Sleat (south) and the second week based on Loch Bracadale (north-west). If you are staying for just one week, I would suggest staying around Portree which is fairly central and has loads of accommodation and restaurants.

I would say that you definitely need a car to get around. Skye is much bigger than I realised and public transport is not particularly good.

Although we stayed for two weeks, we still didn't go to all the places that we wanted, partly due to the very changeable weather (we only had two days that weren't wet!). In July you may need lots of insect repellent as the midges can be very troublesome (check out Avon's Skin So Soft). The Fairy Glen is a "must" as is the drive to Elgol. If you enjoy wildlife, a day trip with Skye Wildlife Tours is a good way to learn more about the island and you should see eagles and otters.

I know I haven't answered all your questions but hopefully this has helped you a bit. I can't wait to return to Skye and am already wondering about going in September.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

No one could have less knowledge of mountaineering than me but I would have thought you would need more time than you have allowed to climb Ben Nevis. Have a look at this link on the Walkhighlands website

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/fortwilliam.…

July is the height of the Scottish School holidays,especially the first two weeks so places will be busy. You may have to book ahead.

Woody x

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186545-i910-k60…

You may also find this link helpful if you haven't already read it.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

Ben Nevis will take 7 to 9 hours by the easiest route:-

walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bennevis.sht…

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

@woodybark and @RabtheCairnTerrier: Thank You so much guys for your suggestions, And true I was being too optimistic with Ben Nevis hike timings. I have changed my plan a little bit and gave one whole day for Hiking and resting on return so that I do not have to rush myself to drive to Isle of Skye.

What do you think of my itineary for Isle of Skye. Any suggestions or must do from your side.

Also I needed opinion on what is weather like in July. I have heard a lot about weather in scotland and no one can be really sure of each day. But would like to get general idea about If July(1st week or 2nd) is good month to visit or shall we postpone it?

Cheers,

Aanchal

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

HI PollyMM

Thanks a lot for details on your trip. I am sure weather must be a put off atimes but the beauty of Isle made up for it. I have been thinking about planning a trip to Isle from last years and finally see it executing sometime soon.

Any idea on how weather could be in the month of July?

From your suggestion - The Fairy Glen and a drive to Elgol is in my itinerary now. You mentioned about a day trip with Skye Wildlife Tours, where exactly it is located. What are the prices? My hubby might like it and he loves wildlife photography too.

Any other thing that pops in your mind please do let me know.

Seaford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

The pick up point for Skye Wildlife Tours is in Portree and it costs quite a lot but it is from 9.45am to about 5pm, includes lunch and being taken around by minibus plus all the knowledge and skill of Andy McLean. Check out his website: http://skyewildlife.com/

The cost is £48 per person.

Glasgow, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

July is normally a good bet for weather in Skye, no guarantee of it being dry but it will be reasonably warm atleast, a good campsite to stay would be the one in Sligachan by the cuilin mountains as it is very central, there are also campsites in Portree and Dunvegan which are very good.

Best route from fort william is directly to Skye via the A87, most scenic and you will eventually get to the bridge after about 2 hours or so.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

I wouldn't think of postponing it but we went last July and had 2 good days out of 6. On the bad days the mist was so low and thick you couldn't see anything, but on the 2 good days, the views that emerged from the gloom, the stunning mountains rising straight up around every corner and the sunshine that finally arrived was worth every minute of the wait!!

Woody x

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,303 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Planning a Dream trip to Isle of Skye

Sligachan campsite is in a good, central location, great scenery, pleasant site.You also have the hotel on your doorstep, which is handy for when you want to eat in or even shelter from damp weather.They have improved a lot over the last few years and are welcoming to walkers and non residents.

Glenbrittle Campsite is also in a great location though not central but right at the foot of the Cuillin and beside the beach and sea. Some great walks in this area up to Coire Lagan or out to Rubh' an Dunan.

There is a campsite at Staffin but haven't tried it.

The weather is a lottery and changeable all year.The summer days are so long however that, even if one part of the day is wet, it often changes for the better at some point.Also, the island has its own micro climate.... one part might be wet, another dry and sunny, Keep checking the forecast each morning and plan your day that way.The hotel also posts forecasts for walkers and climbers.Wi fi is available free at the hotel. The big summer problem re.camping can be midges.Buy head nets... very cheap and worth it.

The Bella Jane (or other operator) boat trip into the Black Cuillin.and Loch Coruisk is, for me, a must do if you are in Elgol.If you want a walk to nice beaches check out the reviews of the Coral Beaches and also Camus.Daraich in Sleat.The walkhighlands website is also excellent for Skye. From Portree, boat trips (MV Stardust and others) go out to the sea eagles nest.They sometimes put fish in the water to encourage the birds to swoop down near the boat.Worth asking the friendly guys who run the trips the best time to go.

Go to Skye via Mallaig and come back via the Bridge route or vice versa.Superb scenery both ways.