We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Hi Guys,

I have never done a wild camping before (though I have done camping a number of times). I read and heard Isle of Skye is also considered as a good spot for wild camping.

Has anyone got experience in this. Can anyone recommend me any good wild camping places to pitch a tent and try wild camping?

As of now I have plans to stay some place close to Sligichan, but if anyone has any recommendation for me near Sligachan or some place else, I will be more than happy.

Cheers,

Aanchal

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,901 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

From Sligachan you can walk south into the Back Cuillin, and you'll find good spots. Just keep well away from roads and habitation.

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Countless places but it depends how you plan on getting around,how far you want to walk with your gear and also what areas you want to see.Also best to be somewhere with good water access from a burn etc.unless you want to carry water in (heavy). Also, there's a lot of boggy ground everywhere on Skye so you have to scout around a bit in any area you fancy.

Not sure if you have a car or transport but if you walk up from the car park at the Quiraing onto the Trotternish Ridge (going in a southerly direction not via the main path towards the Quiraing itself) you will come very quickly and easily to some flattish lovely,dry grassy ground with spectacular views out over Skye and to the mainland.Just go up as far as you can be bothered.The sunrise from here is superb and you can get water from the burn near the car park from what I remember.So near yet so far away from the hubbub below.

An hour or so's walk,with a minor slog uphill on a good track will bring you to highly scenic and wild Camasunary Bay.There is also a simple bothy which anyone can use overnight..Good grassy pitches, a freshwater burn and the mighty Cuillin above you.Plus the sea.Heaven.We awoke to a herd of deer feeding behind the tent. Some nice walks you can do around here too.

You could also camp off the track down to the Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle.

Taking the boat into Loch Scavaig you could camp beside wild Loch Coruisk then get the boat back out again.

From Neist Point you could stay high from the car park and walk over the moorland to some incredible spots above the ocean. Spectacular sunsets here.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Some super suggestions there - makes me want to pick up my tent and head north!

Another option would be to head to Portree and take the shore path to Scorrybreac, past the headland called the Black rock. Lovely views out to sea or across to the Cuillins.

If you have a light tent and are ok to go up a hill, sunrise and sunset from Ben Tianavaig across the bay from Portree would be amazing!

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Yes, Ben Tianavaig is an incredible viewpoint, a big favourite. Each time we've been there , a golden eagle has swept up from the cliffs, checking us out.On one occasion it landed on a rock at the summit and only took off as we got fairly close.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Gosh I am so jealous of you!

I have only ever seen a golden eagle soaring high overhead and even that was spectacular!

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Get yourself over to Mull!

Incredible numbers of golden and sea eagles....Loch na Keal area and Grasspoint are worth checking out.Also,the Calgary Bay area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Hi Guys.

Thank you so much for your inputs. Without you guys I would have definitely not had a fantastic trip to Isle of Skye.

I returned last week, and could not get back to with my report due to Work :(

I am in love with Skye, it is the most beautiful place I have ever been to. I did get a taste of wild camping near glenbrittle and it was awesome :)

I will soon write an entry in my blog about Isle of Skye , share with you guys.

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

Hi Guys.

Who helped me with the inputs on this trip. As promised, the photos of the trip can be seen in the link to my blog - travelfunfoodpictures.com/category/…

Once thank you very much. I hope pictures will prove my happiness of visiting Isle :)

Cheers

Aanchal

glasgow
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

What wonderful weather you had! Those blue skies! Thank you for taking the time to post your photos - some lovely images.

10. Re: Wild Camping in Isle of Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15