We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on Skye in August...advice please!

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
One day on Skye in August...advice please!

I know one day isn't enough for Skye, but I am bringing an American family to the island, and that is all the time we have. We're staying in Sleat (on the South coast) for two nights, so have one full day. The family have suggested that they'd like to see Dunvegan Castle, the Trotternish Peninsula, and do some walking. Bearing in mind that it will be mid-August, does this sound like a reasonable day trip to absorb some of the beauty and atmosphere of the island without being too frustrated by traffic, etc? Are there any epic places to visit that might be a little more off the beaten track? I'm always happy to take a side road that leads to a hidden gem!

Many thanks for any help.

Alex

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
661 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on Skye in August...advice please!

You'll be pretty far from many of the best sites on Skye....it's more driving than you think. I'd maybe recommend that you do only the Trotternish peninsula. See the Quiraing and Old Man of Storr. Eat dinner in Portree. We stayed in Portree and it was a perfect hub, though not the only possibility.

See some Scotland pix below:

https:/…

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,000 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on Skye in August...advice please!

If you're not tied into your accommodation I'd look at staying in the Portree area. If you're stuck with it it's doable but you'll be driving longer distances.

Elgol is my favourite place on Skye as you can get a boat out to Loch Coruisk. Maybe youcould go there on your other -half - day.

A loop round the north of the island taking in Trotternish is a good choice for a day out.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
4,318 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on Skye in August...advice please!

Sleat is beautiful,one of my favourite areas. It's furthest though,from where your friends want to go....at least an hour away and more as you head further up Trotternish.However from Sleat , you are well placed for heading down the road to Elgol.

On a separate note, The Skye Festival is on July and August and there is quite a lot going on traditional music-wise in Sleat particularly in the Gaelic College.

Check:-

http://www.seall.co.uk/whats-on

The Cuillin and the Trotternish Ridge are, in my view, the two ' must sees' for a first visit.Not just stopping at Sligachan for the tremendous view but getting closer.The Elgol boat trip into Loch Coruisk is wonderful,giving you easy access into one of Scotland's wildest corners.But it's a half day of your time, including the drive.

An alternative is to drive down the Glenbrittle road to get up close with superb mountain scenery.The Fairy Pools walk is here or drive down to the beach and stroll beside the ocean with a grand backdrop.Also from here, the superb Coire Lagan hill walk is 3hours return min.or easier Rubh'an Dunain is about 2hrs return min.

The Old Man of Storr walk or the Quiraing are each about 2hrs return min.Do one or the other.

Dunvegan Castle is in a lovely area though the Castle itself has never been 5 star to me.Could you call in to Eilean Donan instead? Just for info, a boat trip to see the seals operates from here (you'll see those on the other boat trip too if they're of interest) or there is the easy walk to the Coral Beaches close by.

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on Skye in August...advice please!

A huge thank you to all of you. That's terrific advice, and will be a great help for making a good plan for the day. I fully intend to return to Skye for much longer, but it might be the American family's only trip there, so at least we can make the most of the day now. Many thanks!

5. Re: One day on Skye in August...advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16