We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rush hour

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
935 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Rush hour

Ok, slightly serious question, as I daresay it's an oxymoron, but what's rush hour traffic like on Skye? I'm staying in Portree and the only time I *need* to be somewhere is the Uig pier at 0855 next Tuesday. It's about 16 miles according to gmaps, so I'm thinking leaving at 0830 would be more than enough time. I can't be late though, so maybe 0815? 0800?

Related, how officious are CalMac about checking in for boat trips? It says latest check in is 0855 for boat at 0940, are they stringent about that, generally?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rush hour

Why would there be a rush hour?

I don't it anything to do with being officious. It's about getting cars loaded on time, so that the ferry can leave as advertised.

Waiting for people to turn up at the last minute inconveniences everyone else.

It's not like an international airport. You turn up, checkin, enjoy the surroundings.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rush hour

Your post gave me a chuckle. I personally always get to ports nice and early when catching a ferry (probably way too early lol), though its worth bearing in mind that the roads aren't the kind you can drive fast on, so give yourself a reasonable amount of time for the drive and have a cuppa when you get there.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
935 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rush hour

Thanks Purple C, yeah, I should've asked about the roads too. Coming from Ireland, I'm well used to narrow roads, but it's also a consideration. I think I'll leave around 8, and just enjoy the journey without putting pressure on myself.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,879 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rush hour

If you miss the check in time, you effectively lose your reservation and are treated as if you've turned up with no reservation, and are put in the stand by queue instead. So you're not bumped off the boat altogether, but you might not get on if it's very busy.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 13:35
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
935 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rush hour

Tks DDootsie, that's good to know in case things go wrong.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rush hour

If I was told I should be a the pier by 08.55am I would make sure I was there by 08.45 at the very latest. and i would be leaving my accommodation around 8am, we've all seen people roar up to the dock just as the doors are closed, Calmac have a timetable to stick to and it will not inconveience them if you miss the boat, question is, would it incovenience you?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,883 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rush hour

I'd say there was a good deal of similarity between the roads you will be travelling on to Uig and some of the the winding narrow roads of Cork, or Connemara - me being a tad more familiar with the latter!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rush hour

Rush hour on Skye - I love it ;-)

Far from being officious, Calmac staff are generally very helpful. For example, if you are delayed on the way to the port and are in danger of missing the check-in deadline, it's always best to phone ahead and tell them you are on your way. If you do that they will usually keep your space for you.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
935 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rush hour

Ah, that's good to know. Obviously I'm not going to leave my accommodation whenever the heck I want, and arrive at the pier 5 minutes before off, expecting to be accommodated at the inconvenience of everyone else, but things happen, you get caught behind a tractor, you get a bit lost (although I don't think that's possible on Skye), you get caught in a vicious one-way system (Douglas on the Isle of Man for example). It's good to know that I might still get on if I arrive after 0855, but of course I wouldn't expect them to accommodate me no matter what.

If I don't get on, well, more time to explore Skye (I'm annoyed that I've designed an itinerary that doesn't allow me to do both Quiraing *and* Old Man of Storr and will have to pick one) so I won't be put out.

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rush hour

Although not a motorway, and there is always the possibility of sheep and or cattle on the road, I think I'm right in saying that the road from Portree to Uig is two lanes all the way (i.e. one lane in each direction) not a single lane track with passing spaces (unless you deliberately take the longer scenic route via Staffin, Quiraing etc).

I imagine the worst of the rush hour is the 20-30 or so staff turning up for work at the Portree co-op and needing to use the roundabout nearby (one of only two roundabouts on the entire island I think I'm right in saying).

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye