We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

Hi all.

I'm attending a friends party in Whitburn on 20 July and need a room overnight. Then I'll be heading off to Edinburgh for a few days.

Due to a lack of rooms in Whitburn, I'm thinking of staying in Bathgate at the Bracklinn B&B (which gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor).

To get there, I'm thinking of getting a taxi from the airport to Edinburgh Park station (10 minutes?), then by rail directly to Bathgate (20 mins?). Then I'll get a taxi from Bathgate to Whitburn (10 mins?) for the party in the evening.

Is the above accurate, and would you say they are the quickest and cheapest ways to get where I need to?

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

Have you tried here

bestwestern.co.uk/Hotels/…Default.aspx

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,738 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

A simpler and cheaper route might be to take the airport 100 bus to Edinburgh. Get off at Haymarket station and take the train to Armadale. It's one stop further than Bathgate but nearer to Whitburn. Then taxi or bus.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

You could get the Stagecoach 747 (Inverkeithing) service from the airport to the bus stop at Ratho Station (ask the driver to let you know when to get off) and then from that bus stop get the First 20 service to Whitburn (goes via Bathgate).

The 747's typically depart at --00,--20,--40 with a journey time of a few minutes. The 20 service is however hourly, departing typically at --08 at takes about 40mins to Bathgate.

The Lothian 35 service from the airport goes pretty close to Edinburgh Park train station.

Note that Ratho Station is the name of a place, no railway station been there for a long time!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

Thanks for your replies guys.

thegoodwitch - the Best Western in Whitburn is fully booked on the 20th - shame as would have been perfect location-wise. I did see Armadale station is closer to Whitburn but I'll have my case with me so will need to drop this off in Bathgate anyway. I've used the airport bus before which would be cheaper but its a bit too slow for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

smithstone - interesting you mentioned the 35 goes close to Edinburgh Park station. Do you know how close?

Thanks again.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

The bus stop on South Gyle Crescent.

http://g.co/maps/5g34v

From the sat map it looks like there's definitely a footpath connecting Cultins Rd and Lochside Ct.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

10 minute walk with a case DustD. Its a sloooow service though, made the mistake of getting it a couple of times.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Think I will stick with my original plans. The taxi to Edinburgh Park certainly won't be the cheapest, but I don't have the patience for buses! Sorry, just me.

Thanks again.

Reply to: Edinburgh airport to Whitburn - best route?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about West Lothian