We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

I just made a dinner reservation at a restaurant in Kenmare during our upcoming trip and received

a very polite but unusual response that I have not seen before.

"Your table is reserved for you at 7pm and we will require the table back at 8:50pm which will give you plenty of time to enjoy your meal"

While almost two hours is plenty of time for my wife and I to enjoy our meal I just found this time limit a bit strange. Is this normal ?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
119,880 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
1. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

I have occasionally been told in restaurants in different countries that there is a time limit of some kind. It is unusual, but it can and does happen.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
38,402 posts
154 reviews
164 helpful votes
2. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

At busier times, some restaurants have two sittings.

I've come across it on more than one occasion.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
16,640 posts
216 reviews
471 helpful votes
3. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

It's normal especially with an early reservation they probably have another booking for 9pm.

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
150 reviews
53 helpful votes
4. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

It's pretty normal everywhere not just in Ireland. First sitting in a restaurant for dinner is 6/7 aka the early birds. Then second sitting is 8.30/9pm til close.

Enfield, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
148 reviews
86 helpful votes
5. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

Very often there is an "early bird" reduced special price that operates up to 7pm, with the full price after that. many Irish restaurants are fairly small so they need to turn over the tables to get two sittings in

Land O Lakes...
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

Thanks for all the input

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?
Save

7.00 is early for a restaurant by Irish and European standards. The restaurant is hoping to get a later "normal" sitting later.

Another thing: in Ireland, and Europe in general, it is bad form for a restaurant to rush giving you the bill (check), so the restaurant is dropping a hint to you to ask for the bill in time.

8. Re: Dinner Reservation - Table time limit ?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.