We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

Hello!

I am in the hopeful stages of planning a trip, either solo or with my sister, this coming late spring or early fall. I am 100% torn about which parts to include given the time frame will only be about 10 days...I’m looking for any thoughts on the best books to map out scenic routes. I’m not afraid of a lot of driving and given a short timeline, am more interested in “off the beaten path”/road trip style vs guided tours etc. I’ve done enough research over the years to know it would probably take at least a month to actually go everywhere I want to, but decided to scale back (through necessity) and at least get the first trip in the books! :) Sláinte!

9 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

You could pick a section of The Wild Atlantic Way and do a road trip along it. It has been named as one of the most fabulous drives in the world.

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

Very sensible approach not trying to do it all in one trip. Less is more in Ireland.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

Sat on my side table right now is "The road to Roaring Water" Christopher Somerville and the Book I have given as book of the month on FB "The Craic" Mark McCrumb both non guide book guide books. as is the book I'm giving in Jan, "Wandering Ireland's Wild Atlantic Way" Paul Clements.

WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

This is great!! Thank you so much!!!

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

Recson,

Post a detailed query here and you will get some amazing advice. Pick a couple of bases and allow us to tell you what we already know.

Missouri
Level Contributor
286 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

I have a DK Eyewiitness Back Roads to Ireland Guide Book that I purchased from Amazon. It has 25 different drives varying from 2 days to 4/5 days. It is fairly detailed but from my experience in September you will still need a GPS. We did parts of several drives linking them together and had a wonderful 11 day trip. So wonderful that I am going back in May. I plan to drive around solo for 14 days and will be following parts of several drives. So excited!

WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

What parts did you cover in your last trip?

WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

I think I’m honing in on the west/southwest for this trip, driving across from Dublin of course. My priorities are: traditional music, rural scenery, somehow avoiding the worst crowds of my fellow tourists... 😬

Dingle, Conner Pass, Galway, Doolin, Ring of Kerry, and Cliffs of Moher are top on my list....I was also thinking of some portion of the Wicklow Mountains on the way back. Am I correct that the heather only blooms in the fall?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

" somehow avoiding the worst crowds of my fellow tourists... 😬

Dingle, Conner Pass, Galway, Doolin, Ring of Kerry, and Cliffs of Moher are top on my list...."

Dingle town and Doolin survive on tourism. The Ring you can avoid the tour bus's by getting off the bus route. The best of the ring is off piste anyway. Cliffs of Moher you can see from Hags head if you don't want the visitors centre. The Connor is fine but skip Dingle all together and head to Beara which has a lot more of everything except tourism.

WI
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland

Very good to know!! Beara has a good music scene?

Reply to: Best road trip books/guides for Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted