We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brendan self drive tour

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Brendan self drive tour

My girlfriend and i are spending 8 nights in Ireland From 2/23 -3/4 for our 60th birthdays. We have a family travel agent helping us. She has given us a proposal of using Brendan Travel which provides our rental car and then vouchers for B&B’s/hotels that we then pick through their website. I think the quote is based on number of days and the dollar amount i said we wanted to spend. Are they a good company to pick accommodations through?

I know we are just a month away but we keep changing our minds on destinations and days at each place.

Any help is appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Brendan self drive tour

Those vouchers again! Not all B&B's take them and they have to take a cut on their usual price for your middleman Brendan to have his share of the profit.

It's far easier and more fun to organise your own trip than pay someone else to organise it for you. Get rid of the middleman!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,455 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Brendan self drive tour

generator is spot on....if you haven't paid and gotten the vouchers DON"T....

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Brendan self drive tour

Book your own flights and car , surely you have internet?

And keep away from the vouchers, when cash is accepted everywhere and vouchers in 10% of places, why would you change your hard earned cash into vouchers? The only person who benefits is the travel agent, You pay more and the B and B gets less.

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
133 reviews
4. Re: Brendan self drive tour

And your travel agent is recommending another travel agent? First of all, your travel agent hasn't done her/his job! and 2: you'll be paying two travel agents something you can easily do yourself.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Brendan self drive tour

A travel agent selling the package of another travel agent means you are paying commission x2 If you must use a travel agent to source flights but everything else sort yourself or if you don't have time use an itinerary planner who will write an itinerary for you based on your preferences tell you which accommodation is suitable and available for your dates, no commission but generally a fixed pre disclosed price. If you do want to plan things yourself then the forums will get you basic but free advice.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Brendan self drive tour

Everyone hates the BnB vouchers. They are usually poorly located, the BnBs always prefer a full paying client and often say they are fully booked, or simply refuse to accept them during the busy season.

By poorly located, I mean way out of towns in the countryside, meaning you can't have alcohol with your dinner or visit the pubs in the evening unless you taxi around or one of you is designated driver.

Ireland has changed its laws recently to zero tolerance for drivers, not one beer, not one wine, but zero.

Also, why would a popular well reviewed BnB need to resort to discount vouchers to get business ?

Medium to Great BnBs do so well during tourist season many can afford to be closed in winter, they don't need discount assistance.

Edited: 23 January 2018, 23:10
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,760 posts
476 reviews
7. Re: Brendan self drive tour

I don't like the sound of what your travel agent is suggesting. Are they in cahoots with this Brendan Travel? You don't need someone to orgnaise all this for you, and if you want to use a travel agent, I don't get why they are trying to get you top use another one!

I'll put it as simply as I can. If youy have to use a travel agent at all, at least use one that will sort out a vahicle and accommodation for you. Vouchers are not the answer.

Reply to: Brendan self drive tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted