We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the one thing....?

Pottsville, PA
12 posts
Save Topic
What is the one thing....?

You wish you had taken with you or known before you went to Ireland?

Some answers I've had already from friends were -

1. Pretzels/snacks

2. Cash on hand - (ATM card wouldn't work!)

I would love to know what you wish you had brought with you or what you wish you had known before you went!!!!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the one thing....?

1. Pretzels/snacks? What's the point in going abroad if you cannot live without your usual dietary disaster for just a few days. Just enjoy whatever the natives snack on... (it will be just as cholesterol-ridden as your pretzels).

2. ATM machine wouldn't work? Make sure to check your bank balance BEFORE you leave...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,965 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the one thing....?

"1. Pretzels/snacks"

?? Maybe they meant for the plane trip? There's certainly no shortage of snacks in Ireland lol.

"2. Cash on hand - (ATM card wouldn't work!)"

I would tend to agree with this one - it "can" happen, I suppose. Either some euros in hand, or at least one other way of getting cash if you really need to, like a travelers check or a credit card advance if you must...I almost always have euro currency with me, but honestly in probably close to 30 trips to Ireland I've never had my ATM card NOT work...

My personal choice for the one thing I'm always forgetting is a large plastic bag for dirty laundry.

Little River, South...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the one thing....?

May have already covered these:

- Spare collapsible duffel bag (packed into main piece of luggage) to bring back bulky purchased items such as sweaters.

- Proper adapter for using electricity for rechargeing camera batteries, etc. Saves time searching for it over there.

- Really waterproof jacket with hood - lets you function as if it really isn't raining. Helps to have one that folds into its own pouch for always having it with you. (Goretex is excellent material for this purpose.)

Have great trip!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Des Moines
Level Contributor
507 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the one thing....?

Although you'll see lots of sheep in Ireland, I had a difficult time finding Irish wool (yarn). Several friends and relatives are knitters and I wanted to buy yarn to bring back for them. After making many inquiries and looking all over Dublin, Kilkenny and points in between, I finally did find a small yarn selection at Hickey's on George St. in Dublin. I learned from talking to friendly folks in various shops that knitting is not a popular hobby (as it has become in the U.S.) and that due to labor and material costs, much of the mohair and other yarns that Ireland is known for is now manufactured in Eastern Europe.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the one thing....?

prairiedog, sheep in Ireland are for eating, not knitting (I'm laughing...)

So Julia Roberts knits and everybody has to follow?

I was taught how to knit, crochet, embroider and sew by my mother, grandmother and at school but that was another century and a different country...

ireland
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the one thing....?

An uptodate map? Alternatively, bring Clauds!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the one thing....?

There is no such thing as an up to date map - I have recently bought two but all the local new ring roads and such - of which there are several locally in our new and vibrant economy (!) are not shown.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the one thing....?

Thats a very dodgy bit of sentence construction in my previous post. There was something on the newspaper today saying that all the big signs on the new roads that read 'partially funded by the EC' should read 'mostly funded'.

People going abroad from Ireland (and England) usually take tea bags...

ireland
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the one thing....?

Dont worry about your sentence construction, my own goes pretty South when my kids are 'helping out.!'

Agree with your point - however, without any map (or a map that your Aunt was saving from her trip in '86) you might find yourself in a bit of difficulty, particulary on minor road and roads with poor signage.

Signage on newer roads does not appear to suffer from the same affliction.

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the one thing....?

Technically, this isn't something I wish I had brought -- because I actually did bring them ...

Washcloths! "Flannels" were found at some B&B's, but not all. I bought a supply of cheap ones at Wal-Mart and left them in the trash when I was done.

An extra pair of comfortable shoes. It rained (A LOT) when I was there, and my most comfortable shoes got pretty soggy, so it would have been nice to have an extra pair while they dried out.