We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for beanalainn

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Question for beanalainn

This question is for anyone really, but I think that beanalainn was the one who recommended these maps to others in earlier posts this year.

We are flying into Shannon on May 19th, driving up to Headford for 4 nights (want to see Connamara, Aran Islands, etc.), then back to SixMileBridge for 3 nights (would like to visit Cashel and County Clare), then down to Kinsale for 3 nights (would like to visit Mizen Head and other parts of County Cork), and then we will spend our final 5 nights in Killarney (would like to tour ROK, Dingle Peninsula, and the Beara Peninsula).

Based upon the areas we will be visiting (Counties Galway, Clare, Cork, and Kerry), which OSI maps do you suggest we buy. We will be driving everywhere on our own.

Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Dublin
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Wild Rover Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Collins Day Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Irish Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for beanalainn

Mom - for general driving then the OSI Complete Road Atlas of Ireland is invaluable.

For more indepth exploration, then the Discovery Series is best. These maps are much larger in scale and will cover less than a county. They cost roughly €7.99 each.

I would go with the road atlas and buy some of the Discovery Series locally if you need them (they are very widely available)

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for beanalainn

Thanks, beanalainn. That is just what I will do. I believe we had the OSI book when we were in England/Scotland the last time and we found it to be wonderful. I will order the general map and then pick up the more detailed ones when we are in Ireland.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for beanalainn

www.osi.ie

Good, secure site. They mail worldwide. I have dealt with them personally and am very impressed.

ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for beanalainn

Are these maps available at local garages/petrol stations? (if no time to order by mail)

Thanks

Chris

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for beanalainn

I don't know when you are leaving, but when I ordered mine I got it in 5 days. Very good website.

I'm pretty sure I saw written here somewhere that they are also available at the airports when you arrive. I just wanted mine early so I could plot courses and just generally be an over-planner ;-)

I love my Complete Road Atlas of Ireland. However, I would caution that some of the tourist sites are written in VERY small type. Even with my reading glasses it is difficult to see some print. I may bring one of those reader-magnifier things.... but I'll also pick up more detailed maps when I get there.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for beanalainn

Chrismom - I think it depends on where you are. In the touristy areas, you are more likely to get the maps in Petrol Stations etc but if there is a bookshop nearby I'd go there first.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for beanalainn

Well, I just ordered my complete road atlas from OSI. There were quite a few of the discovery series maps that looked good, but I think I will just wait until we get to Ireland for those.

Thanks, beanalainn, for all you help. You were already a huge help in our decision to stay at Old Killarney Holiday Village.

Only 4 weeks until we leave. We are getting very excited!!! You guys have been so helpful - just reading the posts every day has given us so much useful information.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for beanalainn

Mom - we would be absolutely delighted if you took the time, after you get home, to let us know how you got on, what you did, what you loved, what you hated etc and how you got on with the maps.

Those of us that post here regularly really LOVE getting feedback. It helps so much.

Thanks,

Have a wonderful trip.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for beanalainn

beanalainn - I will post our review of accomodations, restaurants, and the sights we visited when we return. I keep a journal everytime we visit overseas, so I will try to recap. I know how much I enjoy reading the trip report of others.

10. Re: Question for beanalainn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 11:19