We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Boston
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Topic
The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Hi,

“Kerry is beautiful as well. Although you might have difficulty with their accents!!”

“Celtic or Sell-tic”

Lately, I’ve been wondering how my accent is going to go over on this trip to Ireland. A couple of people have brought this up and I’ve been thinking about it. Will we be able to communicate? You know, once I have a few beers in me, I tend to talk to anyone, get little loud, sing a few bars, and once I start on the Irish Coffee (with Jameson), god knows, I’m the smarted guy in the room (I think it’s the cream).

Anyways, here I sit, a guy from the housing project, raised, educated, and living in Boston (suburbs). I’m told I have a very very good/bad (depending on where your from) Boston accent. Over the years working in the computer business, I’ve had the opportunity to travel around conducting training classes and have been told so many times things like; “oh we love your accent”, “where the hell are you from”, didn’t understand a word you said”, “could you repeat that…slowly”, “do you come with an interpreter?”, “ do you pahk your cah in Hahvid yahd”, etc, etc.

I think the most memorable times have been in California, they seem to get a kick out it and it generates a few smiles …I think it’s the accent, I’m not that handsome (well, maybe). Another time, I was in Utrecht, Holland…the first two days of each class, they would sit there rolling their cigarettes and they didn’t have a clue as to what I was saying (and you know, they didn’t seem to care either).

So you see my dilemma, what do you think? Is there a book (i.e. Irish accents for Dummies) you can recommend to help me build confidence or should I just keep drinking and forget about it?

P.S. I won’t even mention our Boston driving habits, just stay out of my way. We are well known around the world.

Cheers

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

There is no dillema Bos, my wife drools over the male Boston accent after a visit she made there last year.

She would love you to "pahk your cah in huh yahd”, and I mean that in the cleanest possible way imaginable.

Saw a documentary about the 'BIG DIG' on TV last week. UNBELIEVABLE ACHIEVEMENT, I spent the entire time not believing what I was seeing.

Is it still leaking though?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Sounds as though it might be a bit like the Wexford accent.

What Big Dig?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Ah, just googled and found out what the Big Dig is, my this internet thing is wonderful.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
233 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Hey, Bos,

You'll do just fine; keep drinking and forget about it. Likely as not, the accent differences will spark conversations.

And from experience, let me warn you that sometimes our Boston driving habits, when applied to driving on the left, can result in..erm... violently misplaced side mirrors. Proceed with caution. :-)

I'm sure you'll have a wicked good time. Cheers!

South Carolina, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Hey, Bawsss fiiiiiiiiive,

Don' worry! I reckon they'll jus' haf' do their bess, don'choo ? Ah mean, if they kin unnahstan' a South C'lina guhl liiiike me, waaaaall, you'll be eeeeyen liiiike Fleeeeyen.

Jayne from South C'lina

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Heeeheeeheee, Bos, *I've* been tolf that *I* have the strongest Boston accent out theah.

I just ansah "Waht ah ya, wickid cawked or somethin?" ;-)

My friend has a local tee-shirt business. My favorite slogan? "Ahs ah foah losahs!"

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Bryno, us wives drool over ANY male with an accent.

You hot thang, you ;-)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

Oh heavens, Bos, just relax! You'll be grand! Honestly! Believe me, I've had some funny experiences in Ireland. This always makes for great memories! Just be yourself! Enjoy!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

That's good to know Willowtree, Bos can expect to be drooled upon frequently so. Do you think he should bring an extra waterproof jacket?

Cork,Ireland
Level Contributor
352 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Boston Accent- good, bad, or just different?

I think you will be fine. I personally love the Boston Accent, having been there 4 times to visit family, although the different areas do seem to have a different drole at the end of the sentences...

But drool is def the word. You will have the woman eating out of your hand... irish people love Bostonians, I suppose because half of Ireland live there anyway. I was in a fantastic local pub in Boston in the South End, Dalys and they had a very warm welcome for the Irish. I am sure you will receive a very warm welcome too and we wont mind your accent!!

I would be more worried about understanding our accents..

Also that BIG DIG seems to be going on for ages I was in Boston years ago and it just started, I couldnt belive that when I was in Boston in October 06 that it was still going on

You will be "all set"