We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drip coffee maker

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Drip coffee maker

My husband and I and our two adult children will be visiting Ireland for 2+ weeks beginning May 18th. We are staying in self catering accomodations in Headford, Sixmilebridge, Kinsale and Killarney. None of the places have an electric drip style coffeemaker, and only one even has a coffeemaker at all - it is a one cup, French press. My husband and I were bemoaning the fact that we would be existing on instant coffee for two weeks. We do love our coffee!!!

I was wondering if we could buy an electric drip style coffeemaker in or around Ennis or Galway on our first day and then just leave it in Killarney at the end of our trip. Our flight gets into Shannon about 7am on a Saturday morning and then we are heading up to Headford for 4 nights.

Does anyone know or have a store recomendation? Ennis? Galway? Someplace else?

I am assuming that I would not have any problem finding ground coffee in the grocery stores - am I correct on that?

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drip coffee maker

I should think the easiest place to buy a basic coffee maker would be one of the bigger Tesco supermarkets. I got one recently and it is fine. If you see an Argos (order instore from catalogues) you would get a good choice but Argos on a Saturday is not a great way to start your holiday.

You will not have any difficulty buying coffee, Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu, any of the supermarkets, or high street gourmet shops. You will get good quality vacuum packed in the supermarkets.

Dublin
Level Contributor
71 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drip coffee maker

You should be able to get a filter coffee maker in any electrics shop or department store in Ennis/Galway. Suggested shop would be Argos (www.argos.ie). I did look on their site, but while they don't list a coffee maker, I'd be sure they'd have them.

You will have no problem buying ground coffee.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drip coffee maker

Great question, mom83! I didn't think to ask about this when we reserved our self catering house in Killarney. Does anyone know if the Tesco in Killarney would sell any kind of drip coffee maker? Can anyone recommend a local coffee shop there that would sell coffee beans and grind them fresh like local coffee stores here?(I guess like Starbucks does also, but I absolutely refuse to patronize Starbucks!)

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drip coffee maker

I have rented over 10 self catering and always had some sort of coffee maker. Most of the time it is the french press (they call it a cafetiere They have electric kettles that heat water so fast, faster than our drip coffee makers here. Instead of buying a drip machine, buy a french press and use the kettle that is every home-cant make tea without it! It will be easier to travel with and probably find in a tesco or superquinn. As for coffee brands, brewleys seemed one of the best to us. Tesco also carries LaVazza which we love too. We don't patronize starbucks either! You can go to www.tesco.ie and see what's on sale etc. They also deliver groceries which was a nice convenience I used when we arrived. I order groceries online from home and they were delivered to our self catering house the afternoon we arrived.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
408 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drip coffee maker

mom83, I feel your pain. I have absolutely loved traveling in England and Scotland except for the fact that, as best I can tell, no one there knows how to make a decent cup of brewed coffee. I am in hopes that Ireland will be better. I'm taking Folgers coffee bags with me. If you haven't tried them, check them out. You can make a decent cup of "taste like brewed" coffee with one in a few minutes. If my B & Bs don't have appropriate coffee making facilities, I'll make my own!

ponte vedra
Level Contributor
340 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drip coffee maker

Do try the tea. No REAL tea in US!

Chris

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,168 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drip coffee maker

Leucadian,

There is a large Argos Store in Killarney (at the back of Tesco) which should have drip coffee makers.

With regard to freshly ground coffee - I can't think of a store in Killarney that would do that (forgive me if I'm wrong) but you could also buy a coffee grinder in Argos and buy the beans in Tesco.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drip coffee maker

Thanks so much for all your help, guys. Sounds like Tesco and Argos are the places to check for a drip coffee maker. It also sounds as if ground coffee will be widely available.

Meanwhile, RonWhite, I will go to the grocery and buy some of the Folger coffee bags you recommend. I just bought a jar of instant coffee to take with us and that is what prompted my husband and I to begin this conversation. The coffee bags sound like they may be better. I am assuming they work like tea bags?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drip coffee maker

I was lucky in that all my accomodations specifically said "coffee maker in room" on their website. Except one. That one I emailed and gave them a detailed explanation of just how important it was to feed me caffeine before I was present in public spaces (and I do believe my husband emailed separately and backed me up on that one!).... The hostess emailed back immediately that she would make sure there was coffee available in my room ;-)

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drip coffee maker

Hi Willow. Yes, when we were in England and Scotland, there was always a kettle, tea, and instant coffee available in the places we stayed, but we did not stay in self-catering accomodations either time we were there - only hotels. In Italy, there were usually drip coffee makers in the apartments that we have stayed in, so I was always able to make a pot of coffee in the morning. In the 4 self-catering places we are staying in Ireland, they have all told us they provide a kettle, with only one telling me that she can provide us with a coffee press that makes one cup at a time. I am afraid that, as my husband I get older, we are more picky about the quality of our morning coffee than we used to be.

I think I will take RonWhite's suggestion of the Folger's coffee bags and then maybe try to find an inexpensive drip coffee maker when we first arrive. We will be in a Tesco anyway to get groceries, I am sure.

I can't believe this trip is only 10 days away!