We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran Islands Visit

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Aran Islands Visit

Hi All,

I will be in Ireland late-October into November and was planning on making a trip out to the Aran Islands. I am wondering, since I know this time of year is off-season for tourism and given the unpredictability of Irish weather, would you advise waiting a few days prioto purchase my ferry ticket? Mostly I just don't want to ride a rented bicycle around if it's going to be rainy and cold (however, I am okay with dry and cold).

I will be staying in Galway (have been once before) so I know there will be plenty to do if the trip out the Islands doesn't work out. Would you advise waiting?

19 replies to this topic
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Aran Islands Visit

You’ve answered your own question. You can buy ferry tickets on the day of travel and as it’s October, it’s not going to be remotely full.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 01:07
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Aran Islands Visit

Yes, wait until the day of. There is no discount for buying early but there is if you book online.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
4,185 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Aran Islands Visit

Also be aware (at least it was the case when I took the ferry from Doolin once) that if the weather is bad (wet and rainy with higher seas) then the ferry will be canceled so you are best to plan it almost spur of the moment IMHO

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Aran Islands Visit

Ferries from Rossaveal tend to be more reliable, but you would have to ask yourself whether you want to be on the islands on a day where ferries were getting cancelled.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Aran Islands Visit

In October, you can still avail yourself of a flight option, too:

http://aerarannislands.ie/

Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
6. Re: Aran Islands Visit

What happens if you're already on the Island and a ferry gets canceled? They try to help accommodate you(I doubt they pay, but I mean, maybe find you the best priced hotel?). And if there is a chance for cancelation, do you get warned? I'd to go to the ferry, get the rain then be stuck on the Aran island for a couple days!

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
82 posts
7. Re: Aran Islands Visit

Thank you so much for all the options and advice everyone! I love this forum!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,485 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Aran Islands Visit

sadly the ferry, nor anyone is going to find you a B&B...there is nothign they can do about the weather.... I can think of worse things than having to stay on any of the Arans longer :-)

my preference is to fly because it only takes about 10 minutes.....you can't believe the great photos you can get from the plane....

Thousand Oaks...
Level Contributor
82 posts
9. Re: Aran Islands Visit

If budgetary reasons weren’t in play, I would definitely fly!

Edited: 21 September 2018, 05:47
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,485 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Aran Islands Visit

eirebrie, I understand budget for sure :-) ....in case you don't know, it's only €24 more to fly :-)

Reply to: Aran Islands Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted