We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting stops along the way...

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
12 posts
136 reviews
Interesting stops along the way...

So I have two "driving" days, as I like to call them, planned for my trip to Ireland in April. These days are where I'm driving to a destination but stopping at locations and landmarks along the way. I've heard Ireland is a place with ruins and sights to see around every corner but I wanted to ask you all for any hidden gems, must sees, etc. that you could recommend for these two days.

The first "driving" day is from Dublin to Killarney. I have already written down Adare and Kildare for possible stops on this route but any more suggestions?!

The second "driving day is from Ballynaninch Castle to Northern Ireland (Potrush, Ballycastle, not sure exactly the town yet.) Yes this is a long drive so I'd like to break it up if I'm able. I already have written down Slieve League but are there any more suggestions?

We love history, nature, animals, castles... you name it! Thanks everyone!

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 October 2018, 03:13
Edited: 12 October 2018, 03:13

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
292 reviews
2. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

>> Ballynaninch Castle to Northern Ireland (Potrush, Ballycastle << Easily at least a 6.5 - 7 hour drive.

Some of the most stunningly beautiful scenery in Ireland is from Ballynahinch the N59 to Leenane > Clog > the R335 through Delphi and the Doo Lough Valley ( Famine Memorial) through Westport N59 to Newport up through Bangor Erris around the Coast R314 / Kilala Bay up through Ballycastle > Ballysadare > Strandhill > the N15 Sligo town > Donegal Town.

Ballynahinch to Donegal town taking the N59 Galway > N17 > N4 Collooney > N15 about 5+ hours.. From Donegal Town to Teelin add another 1. 5 hours, not including walking and viewing the Cliffs.. From Teelin to Ballycastle (UK) is about a 4 hour drive.

Edited: 10:13 pm, t

Edited: 12 October 2018, 03:22
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,241 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

Doesn't Ireland look small, on a map. Best advice as you have 5 hours driving on each of those legs, just aim to get where you are going and come back when you have time to see what's in-between.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
12 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

Oh, I don’t claim that Ireland is small or large or anything. I’m being fairly realistic with our driving times but it doesn’t hurt to get out a stretch your legs for a moment on a long drive... especially if it’s to take a peak at a castle!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,241 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

Dublin to Killarney https://goo.gl/maps/znZ7ejZJY762

Killarney to Galway https://goo.gl/maps/Cx7JtjXRfJz

Unfortunately all my routes from Connemara to the Antrim coast take at least 2 days

Letterkenny...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Interesting stops along the way...

If you're going to visit Europe's highest accessible sea cliffs at Sieve League (Sliabh Liag), be sure and take the boat trip from Teelin there to see the cliffs from below. It is amazing. And if you are passing via Sligo go to Yeats' grave at Drumcliff. He desired to be buried under his beloved Benbulben (an amazing 'mountain') and he is (well after a fashion). His g.father was dean there. And on the doors of the church the swans on the doors are fab (The Swans of Cooley). Donegal saint, Comcille, formed a monastery there in the 7th c and there is a high cross in the attached g/yard.

On a lighter note, the coffee shop there is just lovely :-)

Reply to: Interesting stops along the way...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted