We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

United States
Level Contributor
298 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

Hello and thanks for any responses!

If we buy the Heritage Pass for admission to heritage sites, do we save time by not having to stand in a ticket purchase line? Can we just proceed to the entrance of the site itself with the pass as our prepaid ticket?

I am also wondering if we save time by not having to stand in any lines for Newgrange, except to get a tour time? Or is the ticket purchase line the same as the one to sign up for tours and entrance to the site?

For example, when we were in Paris and we had the museum pass, we did not have to stand in the separate line to purchase the tickets for entrance into the Louvre or Musee Dorsey (forgot the spelling, please forgive me as I took Spanish not French in school). We went directly to the entrance of the museum and saved literally an hour or more.

Are there separate lines for ticket purchase and then site entrance?

Thanks for your help!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

A Herritage Pass is usually just a cheaper means of gaining admission. I doubt very much if it entitles the user to jump the queue, something which most folks here take a very dim view of !!

United States
Level Contributor
298 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to "jump the queue", but rather was asking if there were 2 queues: one to purchase tickets and then one to stand in afterward for entrance to the actual site. So we might save time by not having to wait in a queue to buy the tickets, but just head for the entrance to the actual site queue.

Much like when we go to the movies in the US. First you have to stand in a line to purchase the tickets, then you go to another different line to wait to enter the theater.

I guess I was asking if there is usually 1 line, where you purchase the tickets and then immediately enter, or 2: one to buy and one for entrance.

Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
301 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

I wouldn't apologize for asking if the Heritage Pass allows you to jump the queue.

That's Exactly what the Dubln Pass allows, and they market that as one of it's selling points.

Asking if the Heritage Pass allows the same sort of thing is a perfectly legitimate question.

Joe

United States
Level Contributor
298 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

Thanks, Joe. I thought I had explained it well, but obviously offended.

California
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

I can tell you that the Heritage Pass doesn't really save you any time in the admission line. It seems to take longer than if you paid cash! You've got to queue up with everyone else and then once you get to the front, they actually take your card and record the number of the pass, the date, and your name into a book before letting you in. At Dublin Castle, once I got to the front of the line, I was pulled out to a separate line and then had to wait while someone found "the book" to record my pass. I think, other than Newgrange, you probably won't find any lines longer than 10 or 15 minutes at any of the Heritage sites.

United States
Level Contributor
298 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

kmg,

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know!

I guess I will not purchase the pass, since the number of sites covered on the pass that we would see and the cost with or without the pass are about the same. There doesn't seem to be any advantage.

Thanks again!!

California
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

I actually found the Pass to be a great bargain. I never had to worry about having money for the entry fees. Plus, I ended up going to places I hadn't considered until I got it (Cahir Castle and Swiss Cottage were two wonderful, unplanned additions to my trip thanks to the Pass). Also, if I didn't care for a particular place (such as Muckross Farms), I didn't feel like I had wasted any money. The Pass more than paid for itself and I'll be able to use it again this September on my next trip as mine doesn't expire until the end of October.

I also don't think you'll be seeing the kind of lines you saw in Paris. Ireland can get busy in the summer but it won't be as bad as Paris. I think Newgrange will be the busiest place and will require a bit of pre-planning but at the other sites you may only have a 10-15 minute wait at most.

United States
Level Contributor
298 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

Good points! Thanks.

I looked at the entrance fees and the cost of the pass. If they accept my daughter's student ID from the States, then we will save money. If not, it is a toss-up. But as you said, it allows for visits to sites not yet anticipated and I won't have to use my cash on-hand.

We plan on gettng to Newgrange when it first opens. I hope we do not have any problems, as we are flying out of Dublin that night.

Did you buy the pass at the airport or at a site?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,051 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

i found the heritage pass saved us well more than it cost....

no special lines to pass others but it was definitely a money saver.......

don't know about student ids helping any, as the pass itself is a money saver and am not sure why a student would get a better deal than someone of the same age without it.....but who knows.....all they could say is "what?"....hehehe....go for it....

California
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heritage Pass: Does it help bypass purchase lines at sites?

eyesee - I bought my pass at the first site I went to (Rock of Cashel). I'm not sure whether you can buy it at the airport or not. Wherever you buy it, make sure they give you the book and map of all the sites.

Looks like it would be a great bargain if your daughter can pay the student price for the pass. I don't know why they wouldn't accept her student ID (just make sure she remembers to bring it with her!).

I seem to recall being unsure whether I wanted the pass or not. I paid the full admission at Rock of Cashel but the woman there let me look at the book and map of the sites. She told me if I changed my mind, I could go back to her and she'd apply the admission I paid towards the price of the card and then I just had to pay the balance. She asked me where I was traveling and pointed out all the sites I would be passing by that were covered by the card. Needless to say, after thinking about it for a while, I went back and purchased the card. Ending up being one of the best bargains of my trip.