We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Ok, this is my day for asking dumb questions. How easy is it to get decaffeinated coffee and/or tea in the various hotel restaurants and pubs in Ireland? Having a heart valve problem, I'm supposed to stay away from caffeine. Once in awhile, I sneak in a can of diet Pepsi (with caffeine) and have no issues with it. However, the other night, I drank an iced coffee (caffeinated) which sent my ticker into tailspins. I had the palpitations and pounding for hours and consequently, couldn't sleep. The whole next day I felt horrible. I do not want to chance another episode during my trip next month. Will I run into difficulties trying to order decaf coffee with my meals? You guys are the best at answering travelers' questions. HELP! And THANKS!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Can't guarantee you will get decaf coffee everywhere, but its not unusual and would be available in a lot of places. Decaf tea is a bit less common, though you can buy it in supermarkets, and lots of cafes sell herbal and fruit teas.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Cactus, if you are really concerned about the decaf (I know people in similar situations) then bring a small jar or some sachets of decaf in your handbag/partner's handbag and explain at the end of the meal when you are being served coffee about your condition. If they don't have decaf, ask if they can provide you with a cup of hot water so you can add your own decaf.

The decaf I've bought from the local Dunnes Stores supermarket is "Clipper Organic Decaffeinated Freeze-Dried Arabica Coffee" that is also Fair Trade (don't I sound very virtuous, lol!!) The company is Clipper Teas (www.clipper-teas.com) which suggests they do tea as well.

Probably a word of advice to the well informed, but make sure you have some sort of medical bracelet/medallion that will let people know of your condition, should you faint or whatever.

I use a medical alert medallion to alert people to my med details

www.medicalert.org/home/Homegradient.aspx

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
356 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

CactusBrat--

You may want to pack a few decaf "Coffee singles" in your suitcase -- Folgers and Maxwell House both make them (they come in individual vacuum-sealed packs), and most groceries carry them (Target has the best price on them, FYI). That way, you'll have what you need should you have trouble finding decaf on the menu, or don't have time to visit a grocery in Ireland. Just an idea.

Good luck, Jean

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
356 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Forgot to add my own coffee- and tea- related question:

Is "splenda" (artificial sweetener - aka "the yellow stuff") widely available in Ireland?

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Jeangs: GREAT idea about the decaf! Now, this is why I come here to ask questions. Someone always thinks about something I didn't! As for the artificial sweetner, that's a great question too! I've been "stockpiling" sweet & low. Every time we've gone out to breakfast recently, I've had to ask for the pink stuff with my decaf (most retaurants here in Michigan, don't just leave it on the table). When the waitperson brings me say 6 packets and I only use 2, the rest come home in my purse. I also keep NatraTaste (it's an artificial sweetner without the sodium), in my home. I'm bringing that too, just in case! I really love TripAdvisor! One caution to anyone looking at hotel reviews, though... read the information with an open mind. I've read some pretty nasty reviews of the Bunratty Shannon Shamrock Hotel on T.A and Expedia. Our Globus Tour has us staying there the first evening. I've spoken with Globus about my concerns. I would have to believe they would not be conducting a tour staying at some "flea bag" hotel, otherwise they'd be losing clients. Sometimes I think people deliberately bash a hotel because they had a less than perfect experience. We Americans have to keep in mind that European hotels are different than American ones. They have old world charm and decor for the most part. Just because a European hotel rates 4 stars but is not on the same plane as an American 4 star, does NOT mean the hotel isn't a grand place to stay, right?

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Beanalainn: Thank you also for the great suggestion! You probably can't tell that I'm excited as all get-out about my trip, can you? HAHAHA. Do they need teacher's aide for special needs kids there? I've heard once you make a visit to Ireland, you never want to come back home..... Thank you, sincerely!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

" I've read some pretty nasty reviews of the Bunratty Shannon Shamrock Hotel on T.A and Expedia. Our Globus Tour has us staying there the first evening. I've spoken with Globus about my concerns. I would have to believe they would not be conducting a tour staying at some "flea bag" hotel, otherwise they'd be losing clients. Sometimes I think people deliberately bash a hotel because they had a less than perfect experience. "

Nah, they put groups there on their FIRST night of the tour so they forget about it by the time the tour ends. :)

Sorry - my review of this place is one of those you may have read, and I wrote what I experienced. Small rooms, unfriendly staff, and all...maybe they've cleaned up their act since last year, I hope you have a better experience. If they haven't, you'll be somewhere else for your second night, right?

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

IrishFan: Yes, we'll be elsewhere the rest of the trip. Heck, though, I've stayed in a closet sized room at the Best Western Beachcomber Hotel in Pompano Beach, Florida, that had a VERY noisy A/C unit in our room, smelled musty and had a view of the wall of the next building. (we could have reached out the window and touched the next building) The room cost quite us quite a bit for the 2 weeks we were there. So, you can get small rooms no matter where you stay and how much you spend. The way I look at things is that I just want a place to shower and sleep. I have no intention of spending time in my room when I can be out amongst the people and the countryside. But thanks for your imput!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Cactus - Teachers aides are called Special Needs Assistants (SNA's) here and yes, they are used. However, the Department of Education isn't always forthcoming with contracts at the start of the year (most SNAs are on term-time contracts only) and it can be very frustrating for some.

I've just come back from Dunnes (I've 3 kids, I seem to spend my life foraging for food, lol!!) and Barrys Tea have a new decaf tea in the store, in a "windows" blue box (the same blue as at the end of my computer screen). Barry's tea is lovely, so this might be a nice treat for yourself ;o))

I have a big yellow jar of splenda in my kitchen as well (I put on an unwanted 6lbs while on holidays in France.....thats 2lbs a week!!). So that solves that conundrum as well. Its widely available as are the other artificial sweeteners.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
356 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ireland and decaffeinated coffee...

Beanalainn,

I am half way through a box of the Barry's decaf tea which you describe. (Of course, I had to buy it at our local Irish import shop -- I wonder what the price differential is ;)).

I really enjoy it -- so that might be a very good option for Cactusbrat.

Jean

p.s. I myself just got home from Target (I think similar to Dunnes) -- as another mother of 3, I know exactly what you mean about constantly foraging for food! I iimagine that somewhere in my house there is a happy little elf munching away on the countless boxes of granola bars and other snacks that mysteriously vanish on a daily basis. (I would guess he's a plump little elf, too.)