We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue jeans - normal attire?

California
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Blue jeans - normal attire?

When we travel we often take blue jeans, but it depends on the country.

Are jeans acceptable in Ireland - or only typical American tourist attire?

Our first trip to Ireland is coming in September. Many thanks for your answers.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

Hi tooblue. No, for goodness sake, don't wear blue jeans! If I may suggest an attire, go with new sneakers, preferably shiny new white ones. Kelly green or plaid pants are always stylish over there. If you wear the plaid pants, match that with a kelly green sweater or a green sweatshirt like the ones you see with Ireland on the front. It probably won't, but just in case it rains, make sure to wear a hat. A tam o'shanter would be nice. You'll be the bees knees. Enjoy your trip.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

Out of respect tooblue, I'm only messin' with ya. As you would in Cali, if it's a really nice restaurant, wear something nice. Otherwise, jeans are fine. I really do want you to enjoy your trip though. :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,276 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

I really DO hope they are acceptable attire... I'm blue jeans at the moment, I was wearing them yesterday. LOL!!

But what I will say to you is - there appear to be different styles of jeans for different countries. I was in France for 3 weeks last month. Because of the dreadful weather, most people were wearing jeans of different colours (including blue). You could actually tell the nationalities by the cut of the jeans.

The UK and Irish were wearing low-cut, wide-leg jeans, the French very chic waisted jeans with mid-calf turn ups. It was interesting.

Coloured Jeans are also quite in at the moment as well.

Dublin
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

lest we over analyse this, it is absolutely fine to wear blue jeans pretty much anywhere.......

the only thing i would say about attire is that if you are going to mass or a fairly fancy restaurant then don't wear shorts, otherwise don't worry about it.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,276 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

Erm, Billy.

Two confessions:

1. I go to Mass regularly

2. I wear blue jeans to Mass regularly.

Forgive me Honey, for I have sinnned, lol!! Please don't tell me my penance is to wear high heels and look respectably suburban ;o))

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,276 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

Sorry - Billy. Misread your post (smashed my reading glasses while on hols). Agree - Do NOT wear shorts at Mass.

Blush.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

Yes, blue jeans are fine in Ireland and any style goes. But you may wish to avoid blue jeans and white tennies as this will make you look more american and they might not be so white if you dare to go for hike somewhere. The only concern I have with denim is that it feels really cold when wet and because it has been known to rain occasionally, I would pack an alternative also.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

If you are under 20 it is obligatory for the ends of the jeans to be ragged and trail on the ground with bits of left-over hem straggling, and wet up to ankle level.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

On that note, baggy sagging is not as popular as it used to be but emo low rise is.

Napa Valley
Level Contributor
289 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue jeans - normal attire?

I've read here before not to wear white sneakers. OK, I'll take you at your word for that one since it is apparently only we Americans who love our white sneakers. What should I wear instead? And since I have bone spurs in my heels (and I'm 38!!!!!) foot comfort is of the utmost importance.