We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time from Dublin to Belfast

Brantford, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time from Dublin to Belfast

Could someone advise how long it would take to drive from Dublin to Belfast both in time that it might take and how many miles apart are the two cities? I believe that they are approximately 100 miles apart but I can be wrong.

Also, any help with points of interest along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, BrantCouple.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,203 Reviews
from US$53.20*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,011 Reviews
from US$76.90*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
411 Reviews
from US$47.30*
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,993 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time from Dublin to Belfast

It depends on a few things, i.e. Where exactly you start and finish your journey, time of day you take it, traffic.

I got this information from www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes I just typed in Belfast City Hall and Dublin 1 as both these locations would be city centre.

Time: 1 hr 54 min

Total Distance (Km): 166.25 or 104 miles.

I would not know of any points of interest along the way as I have not done the journey.

If you buy a good road map such as the OSI - Complete road atlas of Ireland (only €10) you will get an idea of where to stop on your journey.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,446 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time from Dublin to Belfast

BrantCouple, this is a nice trip and as you drive along you will have the mountains of the Cooley peninsula on your right and hills on your left. There used to be watchtowers on them but of course with peace (hopefully) in Northern Ireland they were dismantled. You know that you're in Northern Ireland when the speed limits and the sighposts show miles rather than kilometers, there's no visible border.

We discovered a little gem about 4 weeks ago on a daytrip to the north and if you're interested in archaeology and ancient monuments I think you'd like this one. This will only take you out of your way a few miles. Right, instructions:

Coming on the A1 from Dublin this is a left turn onto the B113 at the first roundabout at Newry. Just a short distance along the B113 is a right turn signposted Bernish Viewing Point. Follow this narrow road beyond the crossroads (there is a signpost for Ballymacdermot Court Cairn at this crossroads). Just up a small hill is a very sharp right turn (again with a signpost for the cairn). Getting onto this road might require some manoevering with the car. Follow this right turn just a short distance and the cairn is on your right. There is a parking space for about two cars. The cairn is very well preserved and one of only a few three-chambered cairns in Ireland. The views over the valley and to Slieve Gullion are spectacular. A bit further down this narrow road and around a bend is Bernish Viewing Point. There are a carpark, a walkway and picnic tables. The view over Newry to the Mourne Mountains and the mountains on the Cooley peninsula is wonderful.

Honestly, well worth it! I know the new road has now been opened so I don't know whether the layout is still the same. Just look for the turn for the B113 and "Slieve Gullion Forest Park".

3. Re: Driving time from Dublin to Belfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 15:15