We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review III

ohio
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip review III

Finally my last installment. We left PortMagee and headed to Dublin. We weren't sure that this was such a good idea but it really wasn't a bad drive. It took us 5 1/2 hours with one stop. We had a little traffic thru a few towns but the closer we got to Dublin the larger the roads. One surpise was going down the highway and suddenly there is a roundabout. What's that about? One suggestion I would make is DO NOT take a car into Dublin. We had a terrible time with parking. We found our B&B with little difficulty. We stayed at O'Neils Pub and Townhouse. I don't think you could beat the location for the price. Our room was large and very nice but one suggestion I would make is to ask for a room at the back. There was a lot of traffic noise at night. I had read some negative comments on the neighborhood and when we first pulled up there was some rough looking people going into a building next door. I'm not sure what it was but later it was all closed up and no one was around. We were not at all nervous walking back at night. We headed to Temple Bar for the evening. We had dinner a one of the pubs and wondered from Pub to Pub listening to the music. The next day we headed to Trinity College which was very close to our B&B. Take the tour! It was E10 which included entry to see the Book of Kells. Our guide was a student and we enjoyed his commentary very much. From there we headed to Dublin Castle and then First Church of Christ. Both were worth the entry fee which was affordable. That evening we went on the Musical Pub Crawl and it was excellent. I would stongly suggest it. The musicians were very good and you learned a lot about traditional Irish music. The next morning we headed out early mainly because of the parking situation. We were headed back to Shannon for our flight the next morning. We took the long way. We headed into the Wicklow Mountains and stayed pretty much on back roads all the way to Shannon. It was our last chance to see the Irish countryside. We stayed our last night at Oakwood Arms right by the airport. It was OK but after staying in B&B all week it was a let down. Well in closing I would have to say that in the US we have many beautiful places to see but they are spread all across the county. What is so great about Ireland is you can see so many beautiful places in a small area. The other contrast we really noticed is how in the US so many things are in your face. In Ireland there are very few roadsigns, neon lights, McDonalds arches, billboards the list goes on and on. We loved it.

Illinois
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review III

Sounds like you had an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing - I really look forward to reading the reports here.

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review III

Sounds like you guys had a great time! Impressed with how much you got done.

Hoping to stay @ o'neills pub also. Did you book them online? For some reason it seems to be not working. Thinking of calling on monday. How were the hosts? Sorry for so many questions. :0)

Laura

3. Re: Trip review III

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 09:17