We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to pick up rental car

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to pick up rental car

Wondered what driving/traffic was like around Dublin airport? Thinking of taking bus from airport to Galway to pick up car for travel to Dingle area. Thought it might be easier adjustment to driving on left and less heavy traffic. Any thoughts?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Avoca - You can get the bus to Killarney and pick up a car for hire there or travel to Limerick and pick up a car from there. Unless you specifically want to see Galway and Clare (Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty etc) then why travel so far out of your way?

I understand your concerns about driving in Dublin traffic. It can be daunting, particularly if you have just stepped off a long plane journey and are driving on the left for the first time.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Thanks. In checking bus connections notice there are frequent direct trips from airport to Galway whereas Killarney and Limerick don't seem to have many connections (arriving on a Saturday) and think with getting into Dublin, transferring and waiting could take even longer. We're not in a rush and wondered what driving in city of Galway and area was like?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Currently the Centre of Galway is one big building site, with many of the roads included in the melee. Why not have a look at www.aa.roadwatch.ie. This will give you details of the most recent roadworks - gosh this sounds so EXCITING :o)))

On a more serious note, I am surprised about the lack of busses to Limerick and Killarney. However, once out of Galway City, the road to Limerick is relatively good, with the Ennis-Shannon-Limerick stretch quite good. This should take you about 1.5 hours. Stop for a break in Bunratty - you can see the castle & folkpark and get a cuppa in the Mall across the road.

Limerick-Killarney starts out well but still (I think - there are road improvements underway) goes through the lovely village of Adare. You will love it. Abbeyfeale comes next - you should cruise through it. Castleisland is another matter. You will be lucky if they do not have the pleasure of your company in a traffic jam for about 1/2 hour - this is a very small town.

When you reach the main road T junction after Kerry International Airport (the main road is within 50 yards of the terminal entrance) take a left for Killarney, take a right for Tralee and Dingle.

Have a super trip.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Sorry - Limerick-Killarney should take about 1.5 hours also. You may get stuck in traffic in Limerick for about 1/2 and unfortunately there is little alternative. Again check out that exciting web-site :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Not a good day!! Correction - www.aaroadwatch.ie. Sorry.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

I just got back from Ireland and had a great time. We flew into Shannon and out of Dublin. The traffic around Dublin is pretty heavy, but the roads are much wider. Dingle is awesome, and I highly recommend going there, however the roads are very narrow (to say the least). Driving out to Slea Head was interesting, but SO worth it. Driving on the right side of the car on the left side of the road is challenging at first, but the width of the roads gets smaller as you go West. I personally would not spend much time in Dublin and head out West. Another suggestion...get an automatic car...I could not imagine having to shift gears too.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Thanks to both of you for helpful info. Problem with renting automatic is that price seems to be 3 to 4 times greater. Don't mind using secondary roads to Dingle and stopping overnight along the way - wondered if it is possible to follow coast from Galway this way? Also wondered if there is B and B in or around Dingle to make homebase you would recommend - oceanview and affordable?

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

We did not visit Galway so I do not know about that. I do not think we paid that much more for our automatic, but I can not remember. (my husband booked it) I would honestly say I would pay the difference to not have to shift while driving. There are so many other "things" you need to concentrate on it would be worth it. (the choice is yours though) We stayed in Killarney for 2 nights at the lake hotel (http://www.lakehotel.com/). It was a central location for us to settle for a couple nights and visit other areas. We went to Dingle from there and the Ring of Kerry. The hotel is beautiful...a little bit more $$$ than others in town, but it was a beautiful setting. So after all that, I do not think I helped much. Sorry.

Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Irelandbound....... as a soon-to-be first visitor, and scanner of these boards for info, I thank you. You HAVE been of help. I do so much prefer to read even the smallest bit of experience rather than a glossy brochure. You are helpful.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to pick up rental car

Avoca - if you wish to travel from Galway to Kerry, you can travel down to Clare as far as Killimer (not far from Kilrush). There is a ferry that goes from there to Tarbert in North Kerry. (Google Tarbert Killimer Ferry and you will get timetables and prices). You can then go to Listowel, Tralee and Dingle. I would suggest you go to Dingle via Annascaul rather than the Conor Pass if you are nervous. In a previous post I mentioned to dunsittin that if one is at all nervous of heights then the Conor Pass is best done with the eyes closed!!

This route could be fun and could be done in a day. Hope I have helped!!