We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
657 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

Happy New Year all.

I am still working on next summer's trip. As there are six of us, travel by rental car will be most fun; I wondered if you thought the roads Galway up thru Donegal to Northern Ireland would be up to a six passenger van?

We can take the bus, but it would be nice to take a full day to get to Derry and be able to stop along the way.

Your thoughts, as always are so appreciated.

NancyM

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

No problem with the roads. Your van will fit. Galway to Derry in one day is a long haul.

ireland
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

Mench

If the roads are fit for a 53 seat bus I guess they will do for a 6 seat van.

Galway to Derry is 4.5 hours by car, allowing for toilet stops. Give it another hour by van & extra if you are to eat. A full day, in effect.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

Such a pity to rush it through some of the most scenic regions of Connemara and Mayo. Better in my view to take a few days rather than a few hours.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
657 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

I'm trying to avoid one night stops -- my husband (age 63) has easly onset Alzheimer's and I want to travel as much as possible without making it too stressful and tiring for him.

Hmm, maybe I should shorten our time in the Galway / Ballyvaughan area and put in a couple of nights up north enroute. Suggestions?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
657 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

Make that eaRly onset:)

cheers

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
657 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

AND since I'm asking, knowing that weather is totally unpredictable, how different the weather in Donegal from County Clare? Windier? Chillier?

(We'll have just been to Madrid and Edinburgh for a couple of weeks each visiting our daughters.)

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

An overnight in Sligo would probably be your best bet.

8. Re: Travel Galway to Londonderry and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:16