We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practial question - Car Rental - Dun Loaghaire / Dublin

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
368 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Practial question - Car Rental - Dun Loaghaire / Dublin

Many have been helpful on these forums - for that I am grateful.

Here's my dilemma and I'd appreciate a bit of practical advice, or perhaps noting something I've missed.

I'm arriving Dublin early Friday from San Francisco (nonstop). A long flight. We're staying in Dun Laoghaire for a couple of days prior to heading South (12 day trip) - beginning Sunday.

I know we don't need a car in Dublin, and we don't want one. The question is whether to pick it up anyway (we've parking at our B&B) or travel back to the Airport Sunday to pick up the car and then head South again.

I figure the Patton Flier will run (for the two of us) 14E each way (we'll need to get back to the airport to get the car). There's also the time issue (spending a couple of hours Sunday getting the car and getting south of Dublin).

One of my problems is that the rental agencies aren't open on Sunday in Dun Laoghaire (Dooleys at the port is but the prices are outrageous). Another is that we were thinking of getting an auto instead of a manual - and autos are only available at the airport location (or so the websites indicate).

I've gotten a good price from Irish Car Rentals on a Micra automatic (4 door), 12 days, all but Super CDW (9E / day), for 245 euros, and if I book now - they'll give me the extra driver for free. At the airport - so I could simply drive and leave it at the B&B until we're ready to go Sunday.

Other options? Pick up from Enterprise in Dun Laoghaire on Saturday, but only a manual and they wont give me a price for CDW or quote the one-way rental to Shannon.

Dooley? picking up at the DL Ferry port - it's around 500 Euros (including Super CDW) - but for a manual.

I'd like to think we can have a nice breakfast Sunday - and head for the military road / Sally Gap on our way south, instead of dealing with the rental . . .

Share!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Dublin
Level Contributor
796 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Practial question - Car Rental - Dun Loaghaire / Dublin

Would you think of doing some sightseeing in North County Dublin on the Saturday afternoon (e.g. Malahide/Horth/Skerries), and heading back via the airport, and picking up the car then? Semi en-route...

That way you still get to start Sunday the way you intend. Traffic should be light on a Saturday evening, but plan to have dinner somewhere.

It's a pity Enterprise don't do automatics.They way they operate here, I can understand about the one way rental issue.

Maybe someone else has another option....

Hope that helps.

2. Re: Practial question - Car Rental - Dun Loaghaire / Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 23:19