We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Comments?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Comments?

Hi all, after much help from various folks on Tripadvisor, tons of reading, and much negotiating with the fam, I’ve got a tentative itinerary.

A bit about us: we’ll be traveling beginning July 3 this summer. We are a family of six (two grown and married daughters with their DHs – one lives in Madrid, the other in Edinburgh) and us, the old parents (early 60’s, but Bob/Dad has early onset Alzheimer’s and so we can’t travel too fast or too exhaustingly).

That’s my one concern about the trip. However, I don’t expect to get back to the Emerald Isle, so I’d love your comments about what I’ve got planned. I’ve had to eliminate some widely acclaimed spots (especially down in the Kerry/Dingle area) but that’s the curse of limited money and time.

Your responses will be oh so appreciated.

Ireland Itinerary (10 days/11 nights)

Day #1 – Fly into Belfast late afternoon (2 nights)

Day #2 – around Belfast (including a black cab tour)

Day #3 – leisurely coastal trek up north and west to B&B near Giants Causeway (2 nts)

- Bushmills Distillery

-

Day #4 – Giant’s Causeway and Dunluce Castle

Day #5 – drive to east of Donegal town to our B&B (2 nts)

- En route stop in London/Derry and Grianan of Aileach

- Enjoy the beauty through the Barnesmore Gap

Day #6 – Slieve League and environs / hopefully a boat trip with Paddy

Day #7 – head south to Galway City (3 nts)

- through Sligo and Castlebar (visit the Museum of Country Life)

Day #8 – boat trip to Inishmore

Day #9 – enjoy Galway, do a bit of shopping, maybe see The Burren

Day #10 – drive to Malahide (north of Dublin) (2 nts)

- have a look see at St. Michan’s and supper in Dublin

Day #11 – St. Oliver’s head in Drogheda, Newgrange (be there by 9:30),

- Trim Castle if we’re not totally worn down

- Dinner in Malahide for our last family evening together

-

Day #12 – head home … sadly and sigh.

The English Market
Flea & Street Markets
Medieval Mile Museum
Art Galleries, Natural History Museums, Art Museums, Children's Museums, History Museums
The Art House
Art Galleries, Art Museums
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Comments?

Your plans look like they should work well - good pacing. You longest driving day seems to be from Donegal to Galway but you will be coming from a 2 night stay and have 3 nights there. Perhaps switching days 8 and 9 so you are more rested for the boat trip?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Comments?

Good thinking and days 8 and 9 are totally interchangeable.

I suspect we'll have to let the weather be a guide there too.

Thank you.

belfast
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Comments?

Sounds like a lovely itinerary! On day four if time head to one of the beaches or mussendun temple. carrick a rede is also up there but I appreciate that might not have time. bushmills inn is a great restaurant but expensive. For a good feed go to causeway hotel at the giants causeway.

in derry check out the walls and the museum. very interesting.

Just rememember that the roads around that time of year are packed with more tourists but it looks like you've factored in for that.

in belfast, (I sound like a broken record) grab a pint in the Crown, it's a national trust pub. Busy at night but lovely during day. if on a budget consider a bandb in belfast. mourne sea food restaurant is lovely too. menu via internet.

anything else just ask!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Comments?

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I had read about the Crown, but wanted to avoid the crowded atmosphere described. During the day it sounds like a lovely rest stop.

Any suggestions for must sees on day #3 as we drive from Belfast to Bushmills?

Best to you.

NancyM

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
661 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Comments?

PS pea 13,

I don't think I've the guts for the bridge!!!

belfast
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Comments?

I think you put it well yourself, leisurely drive up the coast road. it really is very pretty. Cushendun is a national trust village, it's tiny but there are a couple of nice cafes.

Depends what you are into. Glenariff forest park, is just a forest park but has a pretty waterfall. Just driving through the villages and past torr head etc is very pretty. go to the distillery and then go to a few local pubs and relax.

I understand about the rope bridge. have only been once and it's nerve-raking. there's not much to see on other side but the views looking back and fish below.

The causeway hotel for day four has a good lunch. standard fare but welcoming after the trek down to the causeway (or there's a bus). you could drive through portrush and portstewart and head towards castlerock. near here is mussendun temple and the views over the foyle are great. and if you go towards benone beach done a great big hill and take a sharp left at the bottom, this road will take you up to some lovely views where you stop the car and look out.

this would leave you plenty of time on day five to enjoy derry etc. if i think of anything else I'll let you know.

belfast
Level Contributor
109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Comments?

discovernorthernireland . com might help look under causeway it has a map and a few suggestions.

8. Re: Itinerary Comments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 23:19