We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Before you put together an itinerary for Ireland, ask yourself these questions.

Where will I fly into / out of?

(This will determine where you can easily visit. It also dictates what your route should be)

What month will I be in Ireland?

(June, July and August are peak visitor months. Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar. have least daylight hours, but are great from the point of view that they are less busy. Many B&B’s close for the winter)

Will I hire a car?

(This will determine what you can visit and how independent you will be)

Are there any places that I must see?

(This might make your itinerary more complicated)

How many actual tour days do I have? (excluding arrival and departure days)

(It’s best you don’t include arrival and departure dates in your itinerary especially if you have made a long journey. Arrival and departure days are usually ‘non days’ as most of your time is spent, packing and checking in at airport/ferry)

What are my main interests? (eating, drinking, shopping, walking, history, geography, outdoor)

(Some parts of the country are particularly good for certain activities)

What kind of accommodation will I stay in (Hostel, B&B, Guesthouse, Hotel)

(Hostels are cheapest while 4 and 5 star hotels are the most expensive. Where you stay depends on your budget. Sometimes you do not have a choice)

How many are in the group?

(This will impact your transport options, and lead to arguments if the itinerary does not appeal to everyone)

Will there be children travelling with me?

(With kids travelling with you, you will have to be more flexible about what you include in your itinerary)

How energietic am I? (Can I do a lot of walking or prefer motorised transport)

(If you are an energetic person you will find that walking is a wonderful way to see Ireland properly. Some sights require that you get out of the car and walk)

Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations?

(If you do not like cities, then consider excluding the large Irish cities from your itinerary. These include, Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Belfast, Galway, etc)

Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday?

(If you want to really shop, then you should include a major city or two on your itinerary)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Ok, here are the answers to Bryno questions (13 is lucky for me). Can you give me help with an itinerary?

[1] Where will I fly into / out of?

Arrive Dublin on Oct. 9th, early morning - staying in Dublin that evening.

Staying at Asford Castle evening of 15th.

Depart Shannon October 16th, mid-morning

What should our route be?

[2] What month will I be in Ireland? October

Many B&B’s close for the winter - Is October part of this timeframe?

[3] Will I hire a car? Yes - will use the bus for Dublin.

[4] Are there any places that I must see? This is my question…what are the “must see” places? Have voucher for Waterford factory, but not “necessary”. I have been told that I can purchase crystal at the same price as the factory throughout Ireland.

[5] How many actual tour days do I have? Six (excluding arrival and departure days)

[6] What are my main interests? Historical, view of the country and cultural. Shopping and eating will do along the way, but not a priority. I want to see the sights that are the reasons people go to Ireland.

Some parts of the country are particularly good for certain activities. Can you give me examples?

[7] What kind of accommodation will I stay in? B&B - have vouchers for all nights and will stay at Ashford Castle on the last evening in Shanon. Can you reccomend B&B’s along the route...whatever that is going to be?

[8] How many are in the group? 2, lucky for us we like the same kind of trip as mentioned in 6 above.

[9] Will there be children travelling with me? NO

[10] How energietic am I? Pretty energetic. I think we will be sitting in the car a lot driving from place to place so will be ready for some walking, but a mix is good. Can you give examples of the sites that require walking?

[11] Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations? Mix of both. Would like to be in a place that we can go to the pub after a day out exploring and not have a long drive back to our B&B.

[12] Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday? Not a priority. Do you have a suggestion on where to purchase a sweater along the way?

[13] Do I want to visit the main tourist sights, or go ‘off track’? Main tourist sights. Are they closed in October?

(Because of the size of this county the main tourist sights are very busy in the summer months. Be aware in low season that these same sights might be closed)

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Sueze

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Well done Sueze, you managed to get to the end of the list - you are a 5* visitor !!!!

[1] Where will I fly into / out of?

Arrive Dublin on Oct. 9th, early morning - staying in Dublin that evening.

Staying at Asford Castle evening of 15th.### Lovely, how nice for you

Depart Shannon October 16th, mid-morning ###Booo Hoooo.

What should our route be? ### I'll come back to that and also I hope others do. Your time here is very short, you will have to be selective. Actually I think you should post a separate question on the Ireland forum re your route.

[2] What month will I be in Ireland? October ### A great month, one of my favourites.

Many B&B’s close for the winter - Is October part of this timeframe? ###No, the majority will still be open. We have had such a bad summer (weatherwise) that they will probably have to stay open as long as possible.

[3] Will I hire a car? Yes - will use the bus for Dublin. ### Very sensible idea, just what I would have recommended. So organised sueze!!

[4] Are there any places that I must see? This is my question…what are the “must see” places? Have voucher for Waterford factory, but not “necessary”. I have been told that I can purchase crystal at the same price as the factory throughout Ireland. ### The crystal factory is well worth a visit, I would try and get there if you have time. Yes you can buy the crystal in many places but not sure about pricing on it.

[5] How many actual tour days do I have? Six (excluding arrival and departure days) ### Not a lot unfortunately. You might be best staying in the Dublin, Wicklow, Athlone, Shannon areas. Ask more about this on the forum.

[6] What are my main interests? Historical, view of the country and cultural. ### The places already mentioned above are very historical, Dublin, Wicklow, Athlone, County Clare. More about this later.

Some parts of the country are particularly good for certain activities. Can you give me examples? ###Dublin has a great all round historical feel to it. To get fastracked back in time, visit Collins Barracks www.museum.ie

I love Glendalough in County Wicklow, not far from Dublin city. The area is beautiful and VERY historical. You should see your first round tower there. The Glendalough hotel is very very nice and tucked away in the middle of nowwhere.

Stay near Athlone, this is the midlands of the country in County Westmeath. Clonmacnoise and Birr Castle might be worth visiting. Not too sure, never been, but will be going there mid July and will report back to you. County Clare (near Shannon) is a gorgeous part of the world. The Burren is there, Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty, Ailwee Caves etc etc.

[7] What kind of accommodation will I stay in? B&B - have vouchers for all nights and will stay at Ashford Castle on the last evening in Shanon. Can you reccomend B&B’s along the route...whatever that is going to be? ### First, get an itinerary together. Try and stay two nights in each place if you can, and do day trips from there. As I said, post a specific post for your itinerary on the forum, you will get more responses that way.

[8] How many are in the group? 2, lucky for us we like the same kind of trip as mentioned in 6 above.### PERFECT. two is MY favourite number.

[9] Will there be children travelling with me? NO ### YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[10] How energietic am I? Pretty energetic. I think we will be sitting in the car a lot driving from place to place so will be ready for some walking, but a mix is good. Can you give examples of the sites that require walking? ### Walking required in Dublin city, even when you do the hop on/hop off bus. Walking required in beeeeeeeautiful wicklow, also in the midlands (Athlone). You might consider Kilkenny city, a little walking there. Loads of walking in County Clare !!!! You should invest in an extra pair of legs each before you get here.

[11] Do I like to visit cities or prefer more rural locations? Mix of both. Would like to be in a place that we can go to the pub after a day out exploring and not have a long drive back to our B&B. ###That will depend on your accomms. Start getting that list together.

[12] Do I want to include shopping as part of my holiday? Not a priority. Do you have a suggestion on where to purchase a sweater along the way? ### No, I don't know where you will get a sweater. What kind to you want to buy, Standard Marks and Spencer or something 'oirish'? Let us know here someone will point you in the right sweater direction.

[13] Do I want to visit the main tourist sights, or go ‘off track’? Main tourist sights. Are they closed in October? ### No, they will all be open.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. ### You are so welcome. I'll be back later with a suggested itinerary for 6 days.

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Wow, that's brilliant, Bryno! So...how can a final, pristine version go up as a sticky?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Sueze, I see others have given you excellent advice on your other post.

I've had a think about it and here is what I would do if I had 6 days free and was beginning in Dublin and ending in Shannon.

Day 1 - Dublin City. Someone else on the other post has directed you to good info on this.

Night 1 Dublin City

Day 2 - Glendalough

Night 2, Somewhere in the Lakelands (midlands), have a look at this site, it's great www.discoverireland.ie/lakelands I've chosen this area as it's more or less half way from Dublin to the West.

Day 3 - Midlands e.g. Birr Castle, and Clonmacnoise

Night 3 Same place as night 2.

Day 4 Oughterard, County Galway

Night 4 - Somewhere in Connemara or Galway City

Day 5. The Burren Area, see here www.theburrencentre.ie/ for information on the burren and here for accommodation www.discoverireland.ie/shannon/clare.aspx

Night 5 - The burren Area, County Clare

Day 6 - County Clare. So many place to see here, check out what other posters have recommended on your other post.

Hope you like my itinerary. It's one of many suggestions I could make.

B

www.discoverireland.ie/lakelands

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

No, really...how do we get Bryno's final draft up as a sticky? :)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

KBWong,Only the TA Dukes and Duchesses can make a sticky. This has been discussed previously when Clauds recommended it and it brought out my poetic side.

My poem is called 'Ode to a Sticky'

I cannot make a sticky

It's surely very tricky

I feel like such a dicky

I must be a right hicky

Myself I'd like to kicky

But maybe it involves a licky

but that might make me sicky

Clauds you could do it in a ticky.

Will you Clauds, will you be my licky sticky girl?

Anyway it doesn't matter as I (and others) do bump it periodically up the line.

Thanks for caring though. That's nice.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

I contacted TA asking kindly for them to make it a sticky and they said they would contact Bryno before doing it. That was the last I heard but maybe we could request again?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,386 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Nah, TonyI, don't bother. It's not that good anyway and not many use it. It's handy for some though especially those in the early stages of labour a.k.a. itinerary planning ;-)))

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

For what it is worth I think it is really good and useful and if it was there as a sticky it would get ready by most and give them a starting off point. But it is your call and so I will respect that.

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Before making an itinerary - consider these 13 questions

Bryno, don't be so damned modest. :) I mean, such a great poet as yourself surely deserves at least a sticky?! *smirk*

No, really, I think it's really useful. Really really useful. :) Stih-KEY, stih-KEY, stih-KEY...!