We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Famine Village

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
632 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Famine Village

Hi all,

I've fleshed out the itinerary for our 10 day trip to Ireland in July. Basically we fly into Belfast and travel about (Giant's C, London/Derry, Donegal, Sligo, Galway City) before leaving from Dublin.

MY QUESTION: what I've not included is a visit to a "famine village." This seems an integral part of recent Irish experience. Can someone help me understand what these are and suggest a stop somewhere alone our general route?

Thanks,

Mench in StL

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Famine Village

These are small ruined villages dotted around the countryside usually in very isolated areas. They are made up of a few ruined stone cottages and outbuildings, not much to look at but you will certainly get something from the experience of seeing on e, especially if your ancestors emigrated to America. There is one on Achill Island in Co. Mayo I believe and one that I know of in The Burren in County . Clare. I will mail you details of the latter.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
632 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Famine Village

Thank you so much.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Famine Village

I googled Irish famine village and came up with this link http://www.doaghfaminevillage.com/index.html The exact whereabouts of doagh is a closely guarded secret on the website but its apparently near Buncrana. I have no idea what it is like, I had never heard of it, but it would want to be better organised than the website which has no images or map, despite claiming that there are.

Given that it also has a Santa's Island I would be a little sceptical.

There is however an excellent museum about the famine in Skibbereen in West Cork, a town which suffered very severely in the famine.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Famine Village

2 more links to the one in Achill which is called "Slievemore"

http://www.dochara.com/tips/achill.php

http://www.achilltourism.com/history2.html

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Famine Village

These are villages which were gradually deserted during the years of the Great Famine (1845-49), as whole communities left in search of food, some in search of a better life in the US, Canada or the UK and sadly by those who died of hunger and disease. The population of Ireland before the Famine was around 8m. Today, even with the high levels of inward migration Ireland has experienced over the past few years, the population is currently around 4.2m With such a rapid decline in population, most of these villages were never recolonised. You can find them in various parts of Ireland, particularly the south, south west, west and north west. You'll find examples of famine villages at Cultransa, near Kiltimagh in Co. Mayo; Dough Island, Inishowen, Co. Donegal and near Spiddal, Co. Galway.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Famine Village

There is a Famine Museum at Strokestown House if you are interested, certainly worth a visit if you are on the N5 in Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.

7. Re: Famine Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 06:23