We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to go?

Fremont, Nebraska
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to go?

What are some of the best (and cost-conscious) places to go in Ireland where we can see castles and green rolling hills and meet friendly, kind people?

Belleek Castle Museum
Castles, History Museums, Jogging Paths & Tracks
Ferns Castle
Castles, Historic Sites
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to go?

try klonakilty in west cork! just returned,stayed at clogheen strand holiday homes ,this was just perfect. tel.+353 (0)53 33999.mr.anthony taylor (the manager)

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to go?

Galway City is my personal favourite - to the north you have the spectacular Burren and the Cliffs of Moher...to the south you have Connemara. It truly is gods country ove there.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to go?

Doolin is awesome and not that bad of drive from the Shannon airport. Dingle Penisula is great and so is Killarney. Blarney was awesome too. The further west you are on the Emerald Isle the more of what you picture Ireland to look like. Green has a new definition in Ireland. I can provide you with the great places we stayed in these areas if you are interested. The people are great throughout the country. We flew into Shannon and worked our way throught the southern part and flew out of Dublin.

Good luck on your travels! Also I understand being cost-conscious, but the euro vs. US dollar is roughly 1 euro for each $1.30. It make a difference when you go for over a week like we did...basically everything has a 30% markup. BUT....worth every penny. You will have a great time!

I hope this helps.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,890 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to go?

Go West Trekgirl !! Go West.

Take a look at some of the previous postings on Cork, Killarney Clare and Galway. Also, use the supermarkets to get sandwiches and drinks rather than pubs, and picnic whenever possible. The most cost-conscious supermarkets are Lidl, Aldi and Dunnes.

Hope this has helped.

p.s Jenros -sorry for correcting you but its Clonakilty and yes it is absolutely wonderful!! Did you go to Timoleague and Courtmacsherry?

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now