We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

I am torn between these two hotels for my family's first trip to Ireland in August (including three children ages 16, 14, 9). I know everyone would enjoy fly fishing, historical sites, an equestrian center, etc. I know both of these hotels are wonderful, but I wonder if there is more to do in the area around Adare. Which Hotel is more luxurious? Which is more authentic and beautiful? Better food? Also, what area has better dining options for a picky family used to Italian food (we usually travel to Italy every summer). I know both hotels are expensive, so I am willing to pay for a great experience. I appreciate any advice.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

If Italian dining options is essential, Adare in the very pretty village of Adare with the terrific Limerick on your door step.

However, Cong and the surrounding area is spectacular - so if it was up to me, probably Ashford.

Maybe rent out the quiet man.

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Thanks. I will rent the movie. I don't actually expect everyone to eat Italian food in Ireland - in fact, they should enjoy the local specialties! My kids are half Irish - half Italian descent. In photos, Ashford Castle looks more dramatic - do you agree?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Yes, google ballintober abbey, Achill, Connemara, wow - breath taking! My family love italian restarants (spending a big chuck of our annual vacation in Italy) but have a look at Pangur ban or Morans. (Think seafood)

Go to Cong!

usa
Level Contributor
154 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Hi,

We are traveling with our 4 children (16,14,12,6)to Ireland in three weeks! We have decided to spend our 'castle stay' in Ashford. I have been to the village of Adare on a past trip and it certainly is charming, but we will be coming down from the North after touring Northern Ireland and Donegal,so Ashford works perfectly into the end of our stay.

I can let you know after we return in later April. Have fun planning!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,456 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Having been to both (but never staying at either) I would vote for Ashford for its much more extensive amenities, more authentic overall feel (Adare disappointed me because of how much new construction has been added), and remoteness from it all.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Hi,

Stayed a number of times in both. My own opinion is

Ashford Castle.

More remote than Adare on the beautiful Lough (Lake) Corrib, nice walks and great countryside. If your kids are into the sites and countryside then you will enjoy this place, staff are mostly Irish (very important as you want no doubt "Irish Hospitality") and excellent customer service.Ashford Castle - day trips to West Galway (Connemara), Galway, Clifden to mention a few. Food is exceptional although at 65 euro each for a 5 course meal I thought reasonable. You can eat in the Drawing Room a la Carte for a lot less. Very formal Collar & Tie and evening wear for the ladies.

Adare Manor.

Excellent Golf Course, Adare Village nearby, very good food, venue for Irish Open Golf 2007 & 2008, swimming pool, flyfishing, clay or skeet shooting and the Dungeon Bar at night for the sing song on the piano.Point of Interest - Owned by former Vietnam Vet who flew as a naval pilot and has a War Memorial on the front lawn to his lost comrades (Tom Kane). Food very good and as formal as Ashford.

Limerick City & Bunratty nearby with lots to see here.

My Verdict - Ashford Castle. (stayed there 4 months ago).

PS - Why not stay in both - 2 hours travel by car?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Is there any place to eat that is not formal at Ashford?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Yes - The Drawing Room - informal.

Go to Ashford.ie - menus and prices are on the website. You can also go to the village of Cong about 1 mile away for pub grub etc. but when you are in Ashford Castle the experience of formal and informal dining are worth it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Thanks Johnnyo043. I know the formal dinner would be nice, but its' hard to carry formal clothes that would be used only once or twice when we will be traveling for a month and the airlines are making it impossible with the new weight restrictions. I think Ashford has a coat and tie for the men but my granddaughter and I will also be there!

Ireland, Uk...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Adare Manor versus Ashford Castle

Hi, im a former staff member of ashford but have a great knowledge about the shannon area as im currently a hotel manager student at shannon airport.

id recommend doing both since your travelling with a young family, im sure there is nothing more stressful then travelling a long distance and then needing to travel a little further after an overnight flight. stopping at adare will allow you to unwind and adjust to ireland for your first trip plus the kids will want a break after the flight as well. spend a weekend or so in adare explore, the tourist sites and exceptional locations of bunratty, limerick and the burren(clare) region.

following your de-breather from relaxing spin up to galway and take in the lively and artistic culture of galway, full of shops, restaurants of all design and exquiste tastes. or if that sounds too stressful and want just a lapping lake, birds, wildlife a bit of serenity checkin to ashford and just let the days melt away, cong is very traditional and easy going and you will get the wow factor everytime to drive along the main drive.

any questions you might still have id be glad to give a hand. i live in shannon, galway, cong area, and on the lake, lough corrib.

best wishes and travels.