We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Hello,

This will be our second trip to Ireland, but with the exception of lower Shannon and Dublin, it'll be all new territory. It will just be my husband and I. For this trip, we are interested in long, lovely drives, some hiking/walking, and good pubs and music.

We are looking to purchase a package and are currently looking with AAA, aerlingus packages, 1 2 Travel.com, and EnchantingIreland.com. Any comments or other recommendations? Are open B&B vouchers a safe way to go?

We would welcome any suggestions or comments to the below tentative schedule, as well as recommendations for B&Bs, pubs, sights, etc.

---------------------------------------------

Arrive Shannon 9/2, Acquire rental car

See cliffs of Moher, the Burren. Drive to Galway. B&B in Galway

9/3 - explore Galway, Aran Islands. B&B in Cliften

9/4 - Connemara national Park, Clare Island, Achill Island

B&B in Westport? Knock? Roscommon?

9/5 - Drive to Wicklow, Wicklow Mountains/Military Road

B&B in Wicklow

9/6 - Little more in Wicklow. Drive to Newgrange, Dublin

Hotel in Dublin

9/7 - Dublin (Things we would like to do in Dublin from the 6th to the 8th: Firstly, enjoy the music and the pubs and find leCave again. Besides the nightlife, the list includes Trinity College, Book of Kells, National Museum, Dublin Writer's museum, ha'penny bridge, Temple Bar, Quay, Christchurch, St. Stephen's Green).

Hotel in Dublin

9/8 - Depart Dublin

---------------------------------------------

Many, many thanks for your help!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Hi There - this is a big itinerary. The only suggestions I will make are to include Kylemore Abbey and Cong when you are staying at the B&B in Clifden. These are not to be missed.

I might also suggest a few other places that you might like to visit:

Clonmacnoise Co. Offaly and The Bog Train Co. Offaly. Both are close to Shannon Bridge and would be on the way to Wicklow. Finally Lockes Distillery in Kilbeggan is the oldest distillery in Ireland and does a tour of the distillery and a tasting and is really worth the trip. If you are going from Galway to Dublin, you will pretty much pass the distillery. I have posted these web-sites in previous postings, but if you want the addresses again, get back to me or do a search in the right hand box, in the green bar over your post.

Take Care.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Thank you for your suggestions. I was uncertain if we would have time to see some of the midland enroute to Dublin, but your recommendations sound lovely! I hope that we are not too aggressive/optimistic in all that we want to see. So much beauty, so little time.

Stamford, NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Hi,

I am also staying in Cliften on my first night in Ireland from Shannon, going through the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Ballyvaughn, Gaway and on to Cliften, all in one day.

However, we are staying in Cliften, two nights, to get the feel of the area and tour Connemara (lovely, this is my third trip).

I would recommend that you have a few days for travel and then stay a couple of days in each area you are destined. You can get the feel for the culture and the local pubs and people that way.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
238 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback and suggestions on itinerary welcome

Hi, Ladyanne,

Thanks for your feedback. Our itinerary has been fine-tuned over the months, and we are doing just what you've recommended -- we're staying a couple days in Galway and daytripping out from there, a couple days in Glendalough, day tripping out from there, and then a couple days in Dublin. It will go by too quickly, I am sure. I am very excited to spend time in Galway/Connemara and the Wicklow mountains; these are two new places for us to explore in Ireland. We're looking forward to a lot of sleeping in, a lot of driving with pretty scenery, and a lot of walking and hiking through the national parks.

I had voted for Cliften, but my husband really wanted to stay in Galway proper for the night life, etc. So I agreed, figuring we can explore Cliften, Cong, and all sorts of wonderful things via day trips.

Have you ever done or are you planning on doing the Aran Islands? This is one destination that is still in the air regarding our plans.