We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
117 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

We’re back! My daughter and I arrived home to California last Friday after our 2 week first-time visit to Ireland. I’ve decided to do my trip report by city/town rather than days – I’m sure no one wants 12+ days of trip report!

We arrived in Dublin on a cool, drizzly morning – which was such a wonderful change from the hot, dry California summer. We stayed 4 nights at the ABC Guesthouse on Drumcondra Road, about a 10 minute bus ride from city center. Our accommodations were just right for us, and we had our first Irish breakfast there – so much protein! Eggs, sausage, bacon, beans!

Our very favorite spot in Dublin was the Chester Beatty Library behind Dublin Castle. This is a hidden jewel, we had the place practically to ourselves – and it’s free! The exhibit on the history of book binding was fascinating, and the exhibit of ancient religious texts was impressive.

Being on a budget, most of our meals came from the basement grocery shop in Marks and Spencer on Grafton Street. Sandwiches, salads, bottles of water or juice were really all we needed.

We toured Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells, the long room library is breathtaking. We also took the historical walking tour of Dublin. Our guide, a graduate student in medieval history, was excellent. On our own we visited Christ Church, St. Patrick’s cathedral, and the National Gallery. We also went to Number Twenty-Nine and took the very informative tour of this Georgian home.

Our day trip out of Dublin was the Wild Wicklow tour. We had a lovely day weather-wise for the tour and it was great to be off our feet and out to the country. The scenery was spectacular and we had a yummy vegetable soup and brown bread lunch at Anns Coffee Shop in Laragh. Glendalough was incredible – fascinating history in such a beautiful setting.

We did our entire trip by public transportation – which was terrific! Every bus was on time, and it gave us the chance to see small towns and chat with locals. Next stop: Kilkenny.

wichita,ks
Destination Expert
for Wichita
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Chester Beatty Library. It certainly is a peaceful place in contrast to the hustle and bustle of Dame Street only a very short distance away. Being free makes it that much better.

Look forward to your other reports.

Pat

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,376 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

Thanks for mentioning the Chester Beatty Library, Stuffinmama. It doesn't get recommended enough.

Let's hear more about your trip!

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

Yes, thank you so much for mentioning the Chester Beatty Library. I had never really heard of it and am now hoping to incorporate it into my trip in August. :) I can't wait to hear how Kilkenny goes for you!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

I absolutely love the fact that you did your whole trip by public transportation and am overjoyed that it worked out so well for you.

Equally, I am thrilled that you spent time at The Chester Beatty Library. Every time I'm in Dublin, I visit.

5. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 11:23