We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 2 - Kilkenny

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
117 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 2 - Kilkenny

Our bus trip from Dublin to Kilkenny was smooth and uneventful. Most of the hosts at our B&Bs were so surprised that we didn’t rent a car, and asked us how we liked taking the bus. Coming from California – where cars are a must and public transportation isn’t that great, we were very impressed with the bus system.

Our accommodations were at Rosquil House and our hostess Rhoda greeted us warmly. She gave us a great guidebook for Kilkenny and showed us her lovely breakfast room and our room – very elegant with full bathtub/shower, a twin and a full-sized bed.

We walked in to town – about 15 minutes – and joined the walking tour outside the TI office. The tour was excellent, and gave us an idea about places we’d like to explore further. We picked up dinner at the Dunnes store and called it a night

The breakfasts at Rosquil House were scrumptious! Feta and spinach omelet for my daughter, smoked salmon omelet for me.

Loaded up our dirty laundry and dropped it off at a spot Rhoda recommended - €16.00 for one load washed and dried – yipes! But clean undies and PJs were most welcome and necessary.

We walked over to the castle under brilliant blue skies, and got tickets for the first tour. We had about 15 minutes to spend before the tour began, and took lots of exterior photos. The tour was good; however we were disappointed because our guide said he couldn’t take us to the medieval staircase because of time constraints. Odd, as we were the first tour of the day. At any rate, we had seen the rose garden from the dining room windows, and wanted to see it up close. Oh my, the rains came and came! And we silly two were parading around the rose garden all by ourselves, merrily taking photos. Even the gardener had abandoned his cart and tools.

We dashed across the street to the Design Centre and admired all of the lovely handiwork.

The rain had let up and we walked up to the Rothe House and took the self guided tour of this Tudor home. Very interesting and great exhibits in the rooms. We then walked on up to St. Canice’s cathedral and wandered the grounds but had did not climb up the ladder in the round tower – not particularly thrilled with heights. Or ladders.

We had a lovely dinner that night at Langton’s pub. It was a splurge for us, but the lure of live Irish music and a strong recommendation from our hostess reeled us in. We weren’t disappointed. I had the bacon wrapped chicken and my daughter the pasta. No beer for us, but we were thrilled to have ice in our 7-up! The music was lively and the evening was most enjoyable.

Another delicious breakfast – eggs Florentine for me and a tomato and mushroom omelet for my daughter. A cab ride to the bus station and we were on our way to Kinsale.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 2 - Kilkenny

Another nice report, Stuffinmama!

It's years since I had dinner in Langton's but I remember it being very good.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 2 - Kilkenny

Thanks for the great report. So glad you enjoyed Kilkenny.

3. Re: Trip Report Part 2 - Kilkenny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 13:16