We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

NH
Level Contributor
66 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

Day 1: Arrived in pouring rain, though the temperature is great. We get twisted trying to get through Limerick, but are finally on our way, driving down the Shannon River. We stop to take a few pictures of barges on the river. The houses are interesting. They all have walls around the front no matter how close they are to the road. They are bright colors, especially yellow. They look great! We hit Listowel and things are really getting going. There is an old ruin, so we stop in the main parking lot. We take some pictures since the rain is on a break.

Given the confusion in Limerick, we are leary going into Tralee, but pass through without any notice. Barry is still struggling with the driving a little, but it is only really bad when he has to make a right turn (keeps getting into the right lane). We decide to head through Dingle peninsula, before going on to Killarney.

The roads are getting very narrow and the rain is getting harder as we head south. We keep going however, stopping for pictures, and trying to focus on what we are seeing. We were looking forward to Connor Pass, and when we get to the sign decide to give it a go. The road is very narrow and very windy. There are hedgerows all along the road on both sides and Barry has a lot of trouble seeing around them especially in the pouring rain. I noticed a couple of cars on the side and see a waterfall as the water pouring off the mountain cascades down to the road. Barry stops and we get out. It is really beginning to feel like an adventure now. The rain adds some sense of misty Ireland, though it is getting to both of us. We continue on the twisty-turny, sometimes single lane road into Dingle.

Dingle is a little fishing village overrun by tourists. Everyone is trying to enjoy and stay out of the rain. We grab lunch in a pub. We decide to head down around the bay. The rain comes in torrential bands with mist in between. We stop a few places for pictures when the rain slows down. We stop at an early fort and venture down to the coast. The rain is spitting at this time, so the walk is not so bad. We give the AV show a pass and head on. When we get to the Beehive huts they are another vertical walk on gravel. We look at each other and decide with the weather it was time to move on.

The road winds back through Dingle and Kilorglin before heading on to Killarney. I keep dozing off and Barry is struggling to stay awake as we drive the final miles. As we hit Kilorglin, they are getting ready for the Puck festival. The roads continue to be narrow, windy and hard to imagine in the US. We hit Killarney and get lost. (There is a theme here) Barry decides to pull off and head back in town and where does he pull off but at Kathleen’s. Kathleen is nice. She shows us 2 rooms and we select room #5. We head back to Kathleen’s. On the way we get twisted up in the center of Killarney. We got a parking spot and got out to walk around. There is Murphy’s Ice Cream. People rave about it online, so had to try. I had Chocolate something and Barry had the caramel. We went around to shop. Down town is hopping. There were 2 Navajos playing Celtic pipe music on the side walk, weird. We looked in a few shops. Finally after 40 hours we head back to Kathleen’s and sleep. Tomorrow, the Ring of Kerry!

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

sounds like you guys are off to a great start. can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

"We get twisted trying to get through Limerick,"

I laughed out loud reading this - "twisted" is slang in Ireland for being totally drunk out of your head. It took me a while to realize that you were not blotto, just lost.

Pity about the rain though - it does tend to make traveling that bit more difficult!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

Sorry about the rain, JNh! Nothing we can do about that. I think half the population of Ireland wants to emigrate at this stage. I'm growing webbed hands so typing is getting a bit difficult...

"The roads continue to be narrow, windy and hard to imagine in the US"

We've just come back from the US and to be honest, driving for a few hundred miles along straight roads in Michigan can get quite boring, give me the narrow roads in Ireland anytime. Different views on every twist!

"Dingle is a little fishing village"

Oooops, don't think the locals would like to have Dingle described as a village. It's my favourite place in all of Ireland (closely followed by about a hundred other places). And yes, it can get quite crowded but it's an absolutely not to be missed town and area in Ireland.

I take it you gave the beehive huts a miss. Good choice. I keep pointing out that they are not "pre-historic" as promised on the signs along the road.

In Killarney you stayed at "Kathleen's". Is this "Kathleen's" as in "Kathleen's County House"? Giggle. Sorry, you can't know. Please do write a review.

Looking forward to your report on the ROK.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

Yep, after my husband drove an hour, I did the rest of the week! No fear here. (I did notice all the rental cars had scrapes along each side -kidding!)

Glad you're enjoying - rain happens.

NH
Level Contributor
66 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

We did have a great time and rain is not a bother, just hard on my photographer husband. It's been raining here so much, boats are becoming cars. Hoever, now as school year approaches, it has become bright sunny and warm. The kids will hate coming back more than ever.

Sorry about the reference to Dingle. Village is considered nice here in NH.

Kathleen's Country House it was after all the recommendations from here. Did submit a review I hope it help's others

Thanks so muc for all the help we got in planning, it was great.

6. Re: Day 1: Arrival and Dingle in pouring rain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 14:19