We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

Gold Coast Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

I am arriving at Shannon airport and hiring a car at the beginning of November. I will be driving around the south of Ireland to Dublin. I am finding it hard to plan where I will stay every night and didn't want to be restricted by my bookings.

Is it really necessary to book B&B's or hotels in advance at this time of the year. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this. I am traveling alone and not particular where I stay. Thank you.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

best to plan a rough route note the contact numbers of a few GUEST HOUSES these have more than 5 rooms. Local tourist offices can usually find you a room at short notice Nov is generally quiet & some places may not be open but there are plenty of hotels offering cheap rooms

Gold Coast Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

Hi Tony

Thank you for your quick reply. That is an excellent idea, its funny I never thought about making a list of the places I could stay at along the way. Your beautiful country looks so small, I am finding it hard to comprehend how many miles I can travel in a day comfortably and still see everything.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

No, I don't think it is necessary to book ahead and its a great idea to be flexible. I do it in other countries.

There are B&B's in every town and village and September is not the high season. If the places you approach are booked out, they will always know someon else out the road who has rooms, and might even call ahead for you. I've never heard a story of someone who had to sleep in their car because they couldn't find a place to stay.

If you got stuck you would never be more than an hours drive from an urban area where you would find hotels.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
518 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

Would agree with last post in that no real need to book ahead. Always somewhere available at that time of year.

But no harm either to make a list of places you might intend to stop off at , so:

www.townandcountry.ie

www.familyhomes.ie

will cover you for B&Bs

and

www.irelandhotels.com for Guesthouses and Hotels.

You will probably get a better deal by booking on door-step!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

Work on 200 miles per day for November & remember its out of season so some tourist bits might not be open or on limmited hours. Ennis Tradfest is 6th-10th Nov, 1hr north of Shannon worth a 1st night stay but you will have 2 book to get a room in town.

yes I have had to sleep in the car on a winters night in Donegal only becaus I didnt see the pont in paying 150 euro for 5hrs in a room in the Radison without breakfast!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

just returned from 3rd trip< reverved first night, left open all other stays> Travel si doen in Ireland and Nov. is slow so accomodations should be no problem. Be loose and just go as you feel>

Saint Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

Can I piggy-back on this? Have same question but we are arriving at Shannon on Oct. 25 which I read is a holiday weekend. We decided to book first 2 nights in Galway but wonder if we'll be okay for the next week (10/27 thru 11/1). I'm overwhelmed w/ the planning and finding it hard to nail down an exact itinerary but estimate we'll go to either Dingle, Killarney or Kenmare for next 2 nights. Then possibly on to Kilkenny for 1 or 2 nights. And lastly to Dublin for 2/3 nights before heading out a.m. of Nov. 2nd. My husband also thought he read something about a school holiday coinciding with the end of our trip - wonder if that will have any impact on accomodations in Dublin? THANKS!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,158 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

The school children will be on holidays from the 27th October - 31st October inclusive. Judging from our own experiences of taking holidays in Ireland at that time, I don't think there will be a problem.

9. Re: Is it Neccesary to Book Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 00:16