We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Philadelphia
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Hi

Myself and my fiance have 4 full days in Ireland. This is my plan.

Day 1: Arrive ealry morning in Dublin. Pick up car from airport. Spend whole day in Dublin. Night stay at B&B in Dublin.

Day 2: Drive early morning from Dublin down visa Sally Gate to see the falls at Enniskerry. From there onto Wicklow and then to Glendalough. From Glendalough on through the Wicklow mountains to Kilkenny for the castle and then south to Waterford for the crystals. Evening move to Cork and spend later evening and night in Cork.

Day 3: leave Cork early morning for kenmare and start ring of kerry tour. lunch in kilarney. North from kilarney to limerick. Spend afternoon in limerick and evening drive to cliffs of moher. Spend night close to cliffs of moher.

Day 4: drive from cliffs of moher north of galway and onto conamerra. Spend day in Conamerra and late afternoon drive back to Galway. Spend evening in Galway and crash for the night there.

Day 5: depart early morning from Galway to Dublin to catch flight.

Can anyone give me suggestions on things I should/could change in my itinerary? Thanks in advance.

Regards

Anant

Knocknarea
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Croagh Patrick
Mountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Hi there - one suggestion. If you are intent on packing that much into your days, would you consider investing in 48 hour days :O)

I think you have packed far too much into days 2 and 3. About 20 years ago, myself and then fiance (now Mr Bean) travelled from Dublin to Cork. We stopped for some strawberries and to get petrol. We did not visit Kilkenny Castle or Waterford Crystal. It still took the full day. If you are determined to go from Dublin to Cork in a day - prune some of your activities.

Day 3. Cork to Kenmare - about 1.5 to 2 hours. Ring of Kerry: Minimum 4 hours and that with a risk of speeding tickets. Lunch - 30 minutes. Killarney to Limerick 1.5 to 2 hours (about 3/4 hour of which will be spent in a traffic jam in Castleisland and cannot be avoided). Limerick - What do you plan to do? Limerick to the Cliffs - only about 45 miles but about 1 1/2 hours.

Take a look at www.aaroadwatch.ie There is a route-planner in the blue left-hand column, near the middle of the page. Key in your plans and see what they come up with. They will give mileages, time needed and details of any roadworks.

Please remember, main roads in Ireland are not the same as major roads in other countries. Although very much a first world economy - Ireland still has some very poor roads.

Hope this has helped. Take Care.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Personally, I fly around over there. I would have to agree with Bean there though. Days 2 and 3 are very ambitious. I'd say it could be done, but it'd be like one of those reality TV races. At the end you'll be tired and frazzled, but there'll be no prize money. I'd say in your short time, skip Galway. After seeing what your time will allow, I'm sure you'll want to return. Then you can tour other areas. You could spend an hour to a day in Glendalough. If you just walk around the lake and see St Kevin's church and tower, that'll be an hour. There are many different path lops around the mountains. I think I took one of the longest, the red loop. That was a mistake. That took us up the mountain to the left. That was nice, if we'd called it quits and went back down, but nooo. We said if we keep going we'd meet the other shorter pathes. We went up and down mountains, with really no great views to speak about. It was just logging roads. Eventually we got nearer the lakes. By that time though, it was getting dusk and we had to really hurry to get back to the carpark. In the carpark, look at the paths on the board there. Head more toward the upper lake to the right. I forget the other colors(red is burned into my brain), but you'll see what I mean. That'll bring you up toward the waterfall and mountain goats. Cheers.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

You certainly are packing a lot into your few days here. I would skip Connemara and spend day 4 in Galway. You could spin out to Oranmore or Kinvara area or Oughterard if you wanted which are nice instead of going to Connemara. I think after seeing so much of the countryside driving around the south of the country, you will have seen enough green fields etc for your short visit. Be careful on our roads, they are not great and can be dangerous.

Irish in Holland
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

i agree with the above abpout packing too much into day 2 and 3. Although I am in Holland, I am Irish and a direct drive from Dublin to cork using the main roads at non peak times without stopping will take you about 4 -4.5 hours. There are a lot of small towns that are not bypassed and these can breally slow you down. Wicklow and the Sally GAP are very beautiful places and you wiil spend more time there than you plan too.

Kenmare is a lovely town and has exceptionally good fish restaurants. The ring of Kerry is a long drive, the roads are very narrow and twisty. Your average speed here will prob be around 50 Km/h (30 mph for you US people). If the weather is good you will be stopping every few minutes to take photos. If it is bad you wont stop at all because you wont see anything. You definitely wont make it to the Cliffs of Moher, not in daylight anyway.

You dont need a day in Connemara as it is just driving. Do try to get to the Ailwee caves though, worth a visit. Gal- Dub is about 3 hours drive out of peak times. Traffic in the mornings in Irelands cities and satellite towns is very heavy so allow plenty of time. If you are on the NY flight you will need to be leaving very early

While in Cliffs of Moher you should try to get to Doolin, a small village to the north. The bar at the bridge (cant remember the name) always has a good trad music session in the evening and if you play you cvan join in. The food is good there but it is always packed

Enjoy, but I would take out Kilkenny and Waterford and spend more time in Kenmare and Kerry.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,661 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Agree with all the above, far too much for four days. You may have a fiancé at the beginning of the trip, but Lord knows how your feelings for each other will be after that Marathon !!!!!

The Waterford Crystal tour (takes about 90 mins)is excellent, but not worth it in this case when you are under such time pressure. I would not include it in a four day trip of Ireland.

Dublin has lots to see and do but once again time is against you.

I would recommend that you get out of dublin as quickly as possible and get to spend the bulk of your holiday in Galway and or Kerry. (Be warned the drive from Galway City to Killarney will take at least 4 hours, and that's if the traffic is light). I suggest you drive to Kerry first, and then make your way back up north west towards Galway.

I also recommend Kenmare in Kerry highly to you, there is a lovely guesthouse there called Neidin which I have stayed in twice. It's 5 minute walk from Kenmare town. Also highly recommend the Limetree restaurant in Kenmare. It is a great base for many of the beautiful Kerry sights. But there are lots of guesthouses, not to mention the exclusive Park hotel in the area, so you won't be stuck for accomodation.

Similarly with Galway, where there is an abundance of accomodation, however, if you want to stay in the city centre, one good budget hotel is Jury's Inn, which I have also stayed in. Galway is a short drive from Connemara.

Even after reducing your itinerary I still feel it will be some whistlestop tour, but best of luck and go n'eirí an bothar leat (may the road rise to meet you)

Irish in Holland
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Neidin is the former name for Kenmare and was immortalised in a song of the same name by the Furey Brothers

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,748 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

If you are travelling from Killarney to Galway, you might consider taking the Tarbert-Killimer Ferry. Bit of an adventure and it will save you negotiating the Limerick Traffic. However you will miss visiting Adare.

www.shannonferries.com/ for details.

Take care.

Philadelphia
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

Everyone. I am overwhelmed by the responses. Heartfelt thanks. I am tailoring my itinerary based on the comments I recieved to less ambitious proportions.

Thanks once again.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
245 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in ireland - itinerary check.

You may want to consider flying out of Shannon instead of having to haul all the way back to Dublin....