We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supervalu break

Belfast, N Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Supervalu break

Am hoping to book one of the supervalu breaks shortly.... but where!! there seems to be such a list of hotels i was wondering if anyone had had a particularly good experience with one of these breaks? the last time i asked for advice on the forum someone reccomended monart in wexford which was amazing so i'm hoping for some more excellent advice! cheers in advance :)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,387 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supervalu break

Link for Mim's Supervalu breaks:

www.supervalugetawaybreaks.com

Not sure how it works, but the Shannon cruise looks like good value (if this weather continues) and that would be my choice.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,573 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supervalu break

I always sceptical of those bookings because

when I was a Jurys Inn manager we used to get loads of people(eldery usually) with Supervalu vouchers booking in for two nights. They were paying €89 per person for two nights whereas people walking in off the street were paying €75 per night including breakfast. A loss of €28. Hardly good value.

When you decide on someplace, contact the property and find out the rates for those nights(without mentioning supervalu) first.

By the way, the Breaffy house hotel is doing a good deal at the moment for €198 for two people for two nights.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supervalu break

mjm

I see that the Athenaeum in Waterford (a four-star hotel) is available for 99 euros per person for 2 or three nights. They would be a good bet. Also the Pembroke in Kilkenny is a very modern central hotel. Either would be a good break, although you might be looking for a change from the South East.

dublin
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supervalu break

we have had lots of breaks on the supervalu getaway breaks and i couldnt complain about any of the hotels we have stayed in.....so far. i would suggest you pick a region, ie galway, kerry etc. we always choose a region within 1-2 hours drive from home as a weekend is so short and you dont want to be too tired from travelling. with regard to value for money, i think its excellent. if you are considering a particular area, get back to ,e and i'll let you know if we have stayed in that region. we are going on a supervalu break in october to breaffy house in mayo and the reviews are dreadful. i'll be posting my own review on return, hopefully we havent made a mistake. good luck!

ireland cork
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Supervalu break

Hi dpyne, I am trying to find hotels in kilkenny at the moment that do the supervalue getaway breaks, been to any?? Also, seeing as you have so much experience with these breaks, is it possible to select a county on the website and then get a list of hotels in that county that do the breaks? cant seem to get the hang of it!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supervalu break

You have to put in your dates and see what comes up. All the participating hotels in Kilkenny are good hotels. If the Ormond comes up then you should take that. Otherwise the Hotel Kilkenny is a good one followed by the Springhill, Newpark and Langtons in no particular order. Days is OK, but is more of a budget hotel.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supervalu break

Friends of mine are going off on a SuperValu break to the Faithlegg House Hotel tomorrow.

I'm sure there's great value to be had in Kilkenny, too. Wouldn't mind going myself, sigh.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Supervalu break

Our insurance company Axa operates a system similar to Supervalu Breaks with the added bonus that we don't have to save any stamps and can take as many breaks as we like in any given year and bring as many people as we like with us at the same rate. I've looked at the Supervalu site and it's identical to the one that Axa uses, as are the prices and different kinds of packages.

We've been taking advantage of these weekend breaks for a couple of years now and so far we have had fantastic value, huge lovely rooms and great food. And the prices charged for the deals haven't gone up in two years. At no point anywhere did we feel we were in the 'cheap seats'. To date we've been to hotels in Cork, Doolin, Wexford, Kilkenny and Achill, and we're planning another weekend in Cork soon. We've done all of our breaks on bank holiday weekends, so €99 per person on holiday weekends for two nights B&B and one full evening meal in three and four star hotels has got to be one of the best deals going anywhere. And with the euro currently strong against sterling, the Northern Ireland deals are even more amazing.

We spent this Easter weekend at the Pembroke Hotel in Kilkenny on one of these breaks. We had a ginormous room with one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in, and our inclusive dinner was very enjoyable. We arrived four hours before check in and had no problem getting our room. I checked an accommodation website for rates at the Pembroke for the same 2 nights we had booked and bed and breakfast alone was coming in at over €350, whereas we had a dinner thrown in and all for a total of €198.

As has already been said, the hotels available will depend on the dates you enter. One tip - if you are planning to book a break on a holiday weekend, book well ahead.

9. Re: Supervalu break

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 08:19