We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro exchange

dsi
Seminole, florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Euro exchange

What is the best and least expensive way to exchange US Dollars for Euros for visiting Ireland?

N Ireland
Level Contributor
266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro exchange

The best exchange rates are normally offered by the banks, but they may charge a commission on travellers cheques. I think that the Bank of Ireland may have a deal with American Express whereby they cash their travellers cheques without charging any commision. If I am correct then that is probably your best option as they will be pretty competitive as regards the exchange rate and the commision charge is usually the most expensive part of such transactions. Also Bank of Ireland have an extensive branch network throughout the island. Suggest you post a query on the bank's website using the "contact us" link, to confirm if they offer this concession. ATM's are obviously the most convenient way of getting cash but I think they may prove expensive.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro exchange

If your own bank assures you they find the best exchange rate, use ATMs. Cheers.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,749 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro exchange

There is currently a debate on the Dynamic Currently Conversion on this forum - which you might have a look at. Previous posters have also suggested ATM's. Both are probably more secure than having lots of cash and easier than trying to cash Travellers Cheques.

However, if using credit cards and ATMs in this country - take the same precautions that you would back home. Don't let your card out of your sight, cover your hand when keying in your pin, beware of people standing close to you when using an ATM, don't do it in places where you feel uncomfortable etc.

Take cAre