We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,624 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Hi folks - its summer, lets lighten things up a bit. Lets list some of the FUN things you have done in Ireland (legal or illegal, but make sure your screen name does not reflect your real name or you're out of the country - if it was illegal)

Two reasons for this thread:

1. I think we've got a little bogged down at times here discussing semantics

2. They've done a statistic over on the London Forum that says our response per post is behind the UK and France Forums respectively and just above the Romanians :O)

So lets have some fun and get our response rate up ;O)

Bean.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,624 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Taken the Bog Train near Shannonbridge late on a Saturday evening when the driver was in a rush to get home. It was a dry day and he picked up speed as we went across the bog. We were picking out bits of peat from our hair for days :O)

www.bnm.ie/group/peat/clonmacnoise.htm

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
236 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Under the category of silly fun: Our last trip involved 6 people spanning 3 generations, and it was pretty rainy (go figure, Ireland, rainy). During our stops we started taking "umbrella shots," pictures where we were holding the umbrella over our faces. You could see beautiful scenery, bodies, and umbrellas. It became great fun that all could enjoy and they were some of the best photos -- still brings a smile.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Silly things to do in August considering the recent weather: paddling in the Irish Sea and then trying to get the dead bits of jelly fish out of the dog's coat (and there's three of them, dogs, I mean, not jelly fish). Yuk! Paddling was still great, though! Do I get a prize for this (well, the dogs should get it)?

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

As kids in Shannon we used to walk probably about 1/2 mile out in the mud of the Shannon estuary in our wellies(wellington boots) while the tide was out. There is a little island out there that was our kingdom. A couple of times the tide started coming in, so it was running and slipping and sliding all the way back. We, let alone our brown lab dog, were often a muddy mess returning home. That was a cool dog. I remember him suddenly stopping in the water and lunging down and coming back up with a fish! Times and the freedom were great then. You'd just tell your mam who you'd be with, and you'd be gone for the day. Looking back on it, we definitely did our little Lord of the Flies things. Shannon was still very much in it's growth and they were installing huge water mains all over. We'd go through fences we weren't supposed to and go through the pipes with flashlights. We'd be amazed where we came out. Sometimes as sort of an initiation rite, a kid would do it by himself and we'd meet him at the end somewhere. There was loads to do at the airport. We found a tunnel that rings the runway. There are three nests where big guns used to be during WW2. One of the guns was still there, but was filled with cement. More than once after a big dignitary visited Ireland, we found army cups down there. There's also an off limits hill that planes fly very low over as they descend for landing. It's well cordoned off, but we'd go up there and lay on the hill. It was so loud up there that one kid bit through his pleather sleeve. Lol. You could see the rivets on the planes and it was extremely windy also. BTW- There are 5 points, little peninsulas, in Shannon that overlook the Shannon estuary. On a couple there are seats and it's quite tranquil. I never saw one, but apparently there are occasionally dolphins out there. The airport was the only place we knew that had Pong. Some of you remember the first video game. It was like tennis. You used the spinner to prevent the blip(ball) from getting past you. PS2-yeah, right. Lol.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

I haven't been to Ireland in ages in August. I'd love to walk down the road with a bag picking blackberries. Mash 'em up and put 'em on some brown bread with Kerrygold butter. Yum yum. Ireland's dairy is better than here because here they give the cows alot more grain. That produces much more milk, but of inferior quality to there. Cheers.

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

pom, that's funny my story is something similar to yours'!

I'm from Galway and as a kid I used to wade (often on my own!) out in my wellies to a little island in the bay...The mud used to suck off your wellingtons and you'd be left floundering up to your thighs...great fun when you're 9. It was probably more dangerous that I realised at the time, because you'd always be trying to beat the tide.

This summer, a group of us decided to wade out to another, bigger, island in the bay and the genius of the group assured us that he had timed the tide and that we had 45 minutes over to explore the island which is now completely uninhabited but used to have quite a large community.

Needless to say he got it completely wrong and we ended up wading over to the shore, up to our waists in sea water...quite scary and quite cold...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,174 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

I would throw in a suggestion to go to any festival, of any kind, anywhere, in Ireland.

Over the years, by purpose or accident I've been to, among others:

Cork Jazz Fest

Mary from Dungloe (Donegal)

Lidsoonvarna Matchmaking Festival

various sheepdog trials and events

Galway Oyster Fest

Sherkin Storytelling Festival

And last but least - and DEFINITELY not planned, The Daniel O'Donnell weekend! (Shudder...)

So take a look at the ireland.ie website for festival lists, don't write something off just because you think it's not something you'd be interested in, if you're nearby take a look and you may be surprised at what a good time you will have!

Sterling, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

I'm dying to go to the Clarenbridge Oyster Festival. We will be in Galway that weekend. I love oysters and it sounds like the kind of thing that people who actually live in Ireland would do. I was thinking of going on Sunday. Do tickets sell out? Anyone experience it or know which is the best time to go?

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

Good stuff. I was skeptical a bit at first. I know I'm certainly guilty of it sometimes, but London's looks more like a chat room than a forum offering good travel advice. It does make it a bit less impersonal though, so what the heck. Like a classic children's story, I got stuck in the mud once also. If we were wearing our wellies, we'd take a shortcut home. It was a bit swampy, but we'd do it anyway. Of course I got stuck and slowly was sinking. I was up past my waist by the time the townsfolk(lol) were able to pull me out with ropes. I lost a wellie. Almost two years later I was there when backhoes were digging out the mud to build a new development. It was great as they were dumping one big shovel full and there was my wellie. Lol. I've read numerous times lately how there is a big problem with drainage and that it floods after big rains. No kidding. I could've told them that! Hey Enic, where are you from? A coworker is from Inverin and didn't speak a word of English till he was 18 and sent to town, Galway, to learn a trade. It's funny but my mam has more of a brogue than he does. He's now in his 50's-Conneely. I know the area is full of them, but you never know. Cheers.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun Things to Do in Ireland

wow, it's hard to pick out "fun" things and not fill the forum to it's word capacity...lol...

i am too old to do anything illegal but some of the best times i have had were the rope bridge at carrick-a-rede and walking along the water's edge around slea head.....but probably the most fun i have expereinced in ireland was with my irish friend's company...another way to have tons of laughs for me is to spend an evening in a pub in a small village....can't do any better than that in ireland no matter what you do......