We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this reasonable?

NYC
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
is this reasonable?

Day 1

Arrive at Dublin airport at 9:00 am

Spend day sightseeing in Dublin

Sleep in Dublin

Day 2

Sightsee

Sleep in Dublin

Day 3

Pick up car, drive to Cashel

See the rock

Sleep in Cashel or somewhere nearby

Day 4

Drive to Cork

See the Blarney Castle

Drive to Killarney

Sleep in Killarney

Day 5

Killarney National Park

Sleep in Killarney

Day 6

Drive to Dingle

Explore the penninsula

Drive to Doolin (Is this too much? If so, where along the way would be a good place to spend the night?)

Sleep in Doolin

Day 7

Cliffs of Moher

Day trip to Galway

Sleep in Doolin

Day 8

Aran Islands

Stay in Doolin for the night or drive to Shannon area

Day 9

Fly out of Shannon airport

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this reasonable?

Your plans are pretty good though I would suggest you overnight in Dingle on Day6. Dingle really deserves an overnight stay! Set off early on day 7 for Doolin via car ferry across the Shannon.

Perhaps stop off at Kilrush and see the Vandeleur Gardens

http://www.vandeleurwalledgarden.ie/

or visit Scattery Island (depending on the time of year you are visiting)

heritageireland.ie/en/…

You should be able to see the Cliffs en route as well as stopping off at Lahinch.

Perhaps visit Doolin Cave.

http://www.doolincave.ie/

Day 8 well I was going to say this is the day you should head to Galway City sightsee and then drive towards the Shannon area to be close to the Airport.

It seems now there is no time to visit the Aran Islands though you may still fit this in on day7! One suggestion I would make is would you consider dropping Blarney and Cork. Stop off at Kilkenny on Day3 and see Kilkenny Castle instead. Day 4 see Cashel before heading to Killarney.

No doubt you will get some other suggestions.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this reasonable?

That's a really well-paced itinerary.

Day 6 - maybe a little busy . . .

Killarney-Dingle (town) is just over an hour's drive.

You'll probably want to drive out around Slea Head; there are a couple of places where you can stop and admire the views out to the Blasket Islands.

Maybe stop at Dunbeg Promontory Fort - and if you're feeling peckish, there's the nice Stone House Restaurant opposite, where you can get a quick bite to eat:

www.megalithicireland.com/Dunbeg%20Kerry.htm

www.dodingle.com/pages/restaurant_guide.html

then possibly on to Gallarus Oratory and Kilmalkedar Church:

megalithicireland.com/Gallarus%20Oratory.htm

www.megalithicireland.com/Kilmalkedar.htm

This will probably take several hours, depending on how many times you stop - and there are some fabulous views along the route! Please do read the reviews here about Gallarus to learn about the free parking!

Dingle town is a great little town with a good choice of accommodation, pubs and restaurants. It's pretty good for shopping too: locally designed crystal, leather goods, woollens, and jewellery.

I'd say "yes - definitely spend a night in Dingle!"

If, however, you are keen to get on your way, it's a min. 3hr drive from Dingle to Doolin via Shannon Ferries. Fellow guests at Pax House last summer left Dingle late afternoon (5pm-ish), and called from Doolin just after 9pm to say they'd arrived safely. This was height of summer, and it was still light at 10pm. Depending on when you're travelling, just check to make sure the ferry is still operating in the evening.

http://www.shannonferries.com/

You could of course, just cross over to co. Clare, and spend the night in Kilrush or Kilkee; they're both a short distance from the Killimer.

Day 8

Stay in Doolin or drive to Shannon. You need to allow an hour to drive from Doolin to Shannon airport, so, if your flight is very early, you might like to think about staying in Bunratty village for your last night (there's not much choice in Shannon).

Bunratty has a good choice of b&bs and hotels, plus restaurants and pubs. Plus, you could take in the feast at Bunratty Castle if you like the idea:

shannonheritage.com/Attractions/…

ferdia35 has a list of dining options for Bunratty:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g212526-s5/Bunratty…

:-)

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,513 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this reasonable?

Yes,nice itinerary up as far as day 6 when it getsa little busy.

Day 6

Drive to Dingle

Explore the penninsula

### You could explore a little of the peninsula. I suggest that you concentrate on the circular Slea Head drive which only takes about 3 hours including lots of photo opportunity stops along the way. You could then travel to Doolin and overnight there, not a bother.

Day 7

Cliffs of Moher

Day trip to Galway

Sleep in Doolin

### Yes, this is doable. The amount of time spent visiting the cliffs depends on weather and whether you spend much time at the interpretative centre there. When we were there in October the weather was so bad we only spent about an hour in total at the cliffs and a quick snack at the centre. If the weather is warm and sunny you might find yourself basking for a while longer in the views and the sunshine. Play it by ear as they say !

The trip to Galway will be a whistlestop one and you should concentrate on exploring Galway city and then if time permits you could get a little way out to Connemara via Salthill and Spiddle. Be aware that traffic is generally quite bad in Galway at any time of the year so factor that in when finalising your itin. So many cars for so few roads !!

Day 8

Aran Islands

Stay in Doolin for the night or drive to Shannon area

### Very nice day trip and plenty of time today to enjoy this.

Day 9

### Rember to pack the Kleenex.

Overall a very nice, and mostly relaxing itinerary, and one that I would be very pleased to organise for myself.

Georgetown...
Level Contributor
117 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is this reasonable?

Agree with others about Day 6. I am historically minded, so these suggestions might'n apply to you, but here goes. re: Day 4 - Drive through Cork/Stop at BC/Sleep in Killarney = 184km/3hr. IMHO, Blarney Castle and Killarney are overrated. I would end in Kenmare and you can still do KNP on Day 5. There are so many places to consider visiting in the south. Cobh, Timoleague Abbey, Drombeg Stone Circle, Kinsale, Bantry Bay, Kenmare. Pick any of these over Blarney Castle. For instance, your drive-time via Drombeg Stone Circle will still be under 4 hrs (222km). Or if you can re-arrange and don't mind a single night stay, stay in Kinsale on night 4.

NYC
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: is this reasonable?

Glad to hear we're not trying to do too much.

However, I have a possible revision. What if we switch the order and do Doolin first and then Dingle/Killarney after?

So instead it would be

Day 1

Arrive at Dublin airport at 9:00 am

Spend day sightseeing in Dublin

Sleep in Dublin

Day 2

Sightsee

Sleep in Dublin

Day 3

Pick up car

Drive to Doolin (any suggestions for places to stop along the way?)

Sleep in Doolin

Day 4

Cliffs of Moher

Day trip to Galway

Sleep in Doolin

Day 5

Aran Islands

Sleep in Doolin

Day 6

Drive to Dingle via the Shannon Ferry

Explore the penninsula

Sleep in Dingle

Day 7

Drive to Cork

(I don't want to skip Blarney Castle, I really want to kiss The Blarney Stone, sentimental reasons relating to my nana who passed away a few years ago)

Sleep in Killarney or it's too much to backtrack, sleep in Cork

Day 8

Killarney Nat'l Park

Sleep in Killarney

Day 9

Drive to SHannon, my flight is at 1:30 pm

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: is this reasonable?

This looks doable to me...when you stay in Cashel, I'd recommend the Rock House B&B. The place is right at the base of "The Rock" and at night, there's a beautiful view of it. It's also a short walk into city center. There is a pub on the way into town that I would not miss! I don't know the name but if you stay at Rock House, you'll walk right past it going into town. I was there in September...it was a cold night, my friends and I stopped in there after dinner...there was a fire in the fireplace, we were playing darts...drinking Guinness...you couldn't ask for a better place to be.

Have fun on your trip!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is this reasonable?

Your 2nd option looks great too :-)

Day 3 Dublin - Doolin

Couple of places en-route:

Just south of Athlone lies Clonmacnoise monastic site, on the banks of the Shannon. A beautiful, peaceful place with some interesting monuments. The pictures on the link below don't really do it justice; if you google, you'll find some good ones:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Once you've driven through Kinvara you'll reach Bellharbour (Bealaclugga). If you turn inland and follow the signs, you'll come to Corcomroe Abbey - again a lovely peaceful spot:

http://www.burrenpage.com/Corcomroe.html

Day 6 Doolin - Dingle

Forgot to mention that I stayed at Pax Guest House; it's a super place. Just read the reviews here on TA and look at the web-site:

http://www.pax-house.com/

Days 7 and 8

I might be inclined to swap the two days round, and visit Killarney National Park on day 7.

You could certainly do a day-trip to Blarney on Day 8 from Killarney; it's about 1.5hrs drive each way - an easy drive

Day 9

AA routeplanner suggests minimum drive-time of 2hrs, 4min from Killarney to Shannon. You'll probably want to add in some "just in case" time to that. Plus, when you get to Shannon, you have to drop the car at a small depot, then get a courtesy bus to the airport building. It's not far at all, but not walkable with luggage. You just need to factor in some time for this.

:-)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this reasonable?

Excellent suggestions from Sarnia regarding Clonmacnoise and Corcomroe Abbey.

You might also be interested in visiting Locke's Whiskey Distillery Museum in Kilbeggan on the old Dublin-galway Road (N6).

If you are travelling on the new M6 you will see the sign for Kibeggan. It's only 2 minutes off this road.

www.lockesdistillerymuseum.ie/index1.html

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ8YLeTvokM

If you are interested in horses then Dartfield House might also be worth a stop. You will pass it on the main road between Ballinasloe and Loughrea.

http://www.dartfield.com/

When you approach the town of Kinvara watch out for Dunguaire Castle. there is a small car park on the left opposite the castle or there is a pull-in place opposite some holiday cottages further on. If th day is nice I would suggest driving on toward the town, park up and walk back along the path toward the castle (10 minutes walk). Some beautiful photo opportunities of the castle, Kinvara Bay, the town and the harbour.

http://www.kinvara.com/kinimindex.htm

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is this reasonable?

sounds good and i agree about day 6...the only change i would suggest is to stay in bunratty rather than shannon as there is nothing of interest in shannon for tourists...it is an industrial town mostly....and bunratty is a gorgeous villages with lots of things to see and do and you will only be about 15 minutes from the airport....

happy travels....

10. Re: is this reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 07:16